Official Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Official Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A clock with Feet" by Miss Henny.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rita Dove says, " Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful." As such, it's something we should introduce children to at a young age. Hence the aim of A Clock with Feet by Miss Henny.

A book of poetry for children, there are lessons to be found. From loving yourself to materialism to being true to yourself, the book aims to teach children in a fun way. To bring the point home, Miss Henny uses verses from the Bible at the end of every poem. I wouldn't go so far as to say the book is Christian, but those with an aversion to anything religious should avoid the book.

That's not to say all the poems have a message. Some are just fun and silly. The Monkeys Wear Plaid simply talks about monkeys in the jungle who wear plaid, which will create fun images in a child's head. In these cases, some of the Bible verses are a stretch.

One of my favorite poems was aptly named Tree Bark.   In the last line, the author states: "Instead of tree bark, I have tree meow." While simple, it still made me laugh out loud.

Also enjoyable were the illustrations which appeared between every two or three poems. The drawings were simple but still colorful. Hand drawn, these could easily be duplicated by artistic children. In fact, a great activity to complement the book would be to draw pictures for the poetry without illustrations. The font was simple, black, and readable.

Miss Henny uses rhyme in all of her poetry. Synonyms were used to enhance several poems as well. However, that was the extent of the devices she uses. There were no interesting line breaks or unconventional formatting, which I thought was a bit of a flaw, as it would have made the book more entertaining.

In the way of flaws, several of the poems were merely inane. I couldn't figure out a point to them at all, so I'm unsure how children would. For example, there was one about a cold balloon that won't fly. In the end, the author states that this balloon is only an ice cooler.

In addition, the vocabulary was, at times, too advanced for the intended audience, elementary aged kids. For instance, one of the poems discusses oyster crackers, which I'm not sure children will know about. There is even mention of an animal named a zorilla; this was one I hadn't even heard of.

As for errors, poetry is always difficult to assess. The author is given great liberty as far as punctuation and word choice. The only issue I found was the use of the word "them" (as in "them clouds") where "those" would be more correct and wouldn't change the meaning of the poem or the rhyme scheme.

Overall, A Clock with Feet is fun, entertaining, and has important lessons to learn. Therefore, I give it 3 out of 4 stars. For the difficult vocabulary and nonsensical poems, I removed one star. Any young child would enjoy these poems. Families could read this together and discuss the meaning behind the poetry. Creative parents could even make activities based around the poetry for their children. 

A clock with Feet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading: Sandra Eden's War
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

I'd like to take some time off and commend the writer for this masterpiece and you for doing great work. You've piqued my interest with this review.

_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Future Is by Carroll Grabham

Post by _Lindsey_ »

It's lovely that the author made a collection of poems for children to enjoy. I think it's really important to make accessible books like this so children can explore their interests! It sounds like the author did a really good job. Thanks for the review.

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Space Has No Frontier by John Bromley-Davenport

Post by gabrielletiemi »

A poetry book for children seems great. It seems an interesting and funny way to teach kids new words and some life lessons. Thanks for the review! Great job.

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Christieee »

I like how there is an underlying message in every poem for children to learn from.
Great review!

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Elvis Best »

A book of poetry for kids sounds found. Although most of the poems are silly, I'm sure kids will enjoy them. Thanks for the honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Tonika632
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Tonika632 »

Poetry for kids is a great way to teach them about poems and other stuff. This book sounds interesting. Great review!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kachi_Ejiogu+_ wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 09:29
I'd like to take some time off and commend the writer for this masterpiece and you for doing great work. You've piqued my interest with this review.
Thank you. It's an interesting book for children. Several of the poems were just so fun.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

_Lindsey_ wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 10:08
It's lovely that the author made a collection of poems for children to enjoy. I think it's really important to make accessible books like this so children can explore their interests! It sounds like the author did a really good job. Thanks for the review.
Absolutely! Children should be able to read a little bit of everything to help them get interested in different things. Thanks for your comment.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gabrielletiemi wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 11:44
A poetry book for children seems great. It seems an interesting and funny way to teach kids new words and some life lessons. Thanks for the review! Great job.
There are definitely some good life lessons to learn here. Then there are just those poems that are fun with little real meaning. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Christieee wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 13:38
I like how there is an underlying message in every poem for children to learn from.
Great review!
Yes, most of the poems had great life lessons. It was a lovely way to teach kids. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Elvis Best wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 15:39
A book of poetry for kids sounds found. Although most of the poems are silly, I'm sure kids will enjoy them. Thanks for the honest review.
Kids will enjoy the variety of poems here, I'm sure. There are some that are silly and fun; then there are some that have real meaning behind them. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Tonika632 wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 16:24
Poetry for kids is a great way to teach them about poems and other stuff. This book sounds interesting. Great review!
This could be very educational for children. I hope the author fixes the few issues I found. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Online Meeting Survival Guide by Paul Richards

Post by MsH2k »

It’s wonderful to introduce children to poetry early. I like your idea about drawing pictures for the poems without illustrations. Great review!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: ODIN
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Plaid-wearing monkeys, zorillas, and rhyming verse?! My what a fanciful tale of wonder and curiosities this must be. Thank you for the entertaining review :)

Return to “Children's Books”