Official Review: The Night of the Lights

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: The Night of the Lights

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Night of the Lights" by A. Elizabeth Orley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Night of the Lights by A. Elizabeth Orley is a children’s picture book about a little boy with a big, creative mind. Sam always looks forward to the days he spends with Gigi, his grandmother. On this particular day, Gigi drives Sam out of the city to her country home, where she has a special surprise planned. After the sun goes down, Sam begins to see fireflies twinkling in the sky, and Gigi encourages him to catch a few. Sam must use his creative mind to figure out how to capture the fireflies and impress Gigi.

I really enjoyed how the author brought out the magical feeling of catching fireflies in this book. I became nostalgic while reading because, just like Sam, I used to take trips to the country to visit family and catch fireflies. Because of this, I think this book could open parents up to talking about their childhoods with their kids.

Not only does the writing highlight the magic of the fireflies, but the illustrations also do a great job of telling the story. The rippling cartoon pictures make the reader feel like they are looking through an old pane of wavy glass. This really added to the timeless nature of the story and made me feel like children could see themselves in Sam’s place.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed the writing and illustrations and found no errors in it. I deducted one star because I felt that the author pushed the message of creative thinking a little too far in the middle of the book. It interrupted the main storyline, and I don’t think kids need that obvious of a push to want to think creatively. After this part of the story, Gigi explains that they need to let the fireflies go, and this leads to a message about how we should treat animals. This message was integrated much more naturally, and I would have appreciated the author integrating the message about creative thinking in a similar way.

I would recommend this book to parents of kids ages five to eight. The author includes educational information about fireflies but also keeps the vocabulary at a level appropriate for early readers. I could see many parents using this book to inspire a sense of wonder in their children.

The Night of the Lights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

Sounds so catching. This is the first of its kind I have ever seen. Making children creative, this is unusual. Thanks to the author for a well thought out book.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

What a delightful book. I love the cover and the beautiful message of kindness to living things. Thank you for a lovely review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Hazel_25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hazel_25 »

I love the cover page and the intro of the story it talks about how creative the mind of a child is. And How they slowly learning from things on what they see. ❤️
Veronicaadto1
Currently Reading: To Read
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Veronicaadto1 »

Thanks for the review. The night of the light is something to read about because as we imagine despite the darkness there this little creature giving us light, likely during our badtimes there this something in our mind telling us 'hope' for there are better tomorrow's. The child's mind becomes so creative of how he could catch the fireflies while seeing them flying?
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Wow! This sounds like a stunning read! I love how some of the letters on the front cover are made to look like the fireflies. Creative thinking and how to treat animals with respect are two very important lessons for children. Thanks for an in-depth and honest review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Wonderfully written and reviewed. I would make sure I read this book to my kids someday. Thanks a lot.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

Congratulations on a great review! God bless you!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I don't have any experience with catching fireflies, but you make it sound so magical. Also, I love children's books. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

You make this book sound really great! What a lovely book to read to children. Thanks for your great review.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I love collecting children’s picture books and this one sounds great. I remember the first time I ever saw fireflies. It was a magical moment. I never knew there were such things. Thanks for your review.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

This review had me reminiscing about catching fireflies as a kid and fun times with my siblings. This sounds like a fun book to share with my son. Thanks for the great review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I concept of the book is so sweet. Catching fireflies or even watching them is so refreshing. Thanks for the amazing review.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

but the illustrations also do a great job of telling the story
This is why I love children books. Good review.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Wow! The magic in fireflies. Creative thinking is something children should be helped developed in children. Thanks for a well written review.

Return to “Children's Books”