Official Review: Super Kena by Becky Cymbaluk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
2017 Reading Goal: 125
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Upon a Peak in Darien by David Pearson
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Super Kena by Becky Cymbaluk

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Super Kena" by Becky Cymbaluk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Super Kena is a children’s book, written by Becky Cymbaluk and illustrated by Zuzana Svobodová, which tells the story of a little girl with a hearing loss. After Kena has a bad day at school when the other children tease her for her hearing aids, her mother explains to her that they tease her because they just don’t understand the importance of Kena’s hearing aids. Those hearing aids give her ears super powers! The two of them point out differences in some of the other students, and Kena gets the idea to start a team of super heroes.

A variety of children who are “differently-abled” are featured within this book, but the main character with hearing aids resonated strongly with me. As a speech-language pathologist, I’ve known for years that deaf and hard of hearing children are extremely underrepresented in children’s books, and it’s great to point out to children (and even some adults) that people who wear hearing aids can still hear and speak just like everyone else.

I absolutely adored this story, and I can’t wait to share it with colleagues and students. The characters are fun and diverse, and the story is quick but also powerful. Additionally, the illustrations are amazing, with bright, eye-catching colors. I love it when the illustrations in children’s books are just as important to the story as the words, because it opens up the appropriate age range for readers. Preschoolers would love having parents or teachers read this book to them just as easily as young primary school children would enjoy reading it for themselves.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that this book would appeal to children over age 10, which is right around the age when children really start to notice and tease other children about differences. Perhaps if we introduced children to books like these earlier in life, we wouldn’t have to deal with teasing in later years. I personally know a young man who could have used this book a few years ago, before he entered middle school and had to deal with the harsh words of other children who haven’t been properly taught how to treat others with differences.

I gladly give this wonderful children’s book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There is absolutely nothing about the book that I disliked. It’s a powerful story with a message that can benefit all of us. Parents and teachers of preschool and primary school children will enjoy sharing this book with their students, and I strongly believe that this book should become required reading for all households.

Super Kena
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

JamariousT
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JamariousT »

This book is a beautiful story being told , & it tells about how the bullied become the achievers and the bullies are at a downfall

khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by khaulah »

I really hope that this book would be helpful to the kids, both the ones getting teased and the ones doing the teasing. Getting children these kind of books could be a tiny step towards the positive direction. Thanks for your review.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: As I Remember It by Jared Isaac Richard

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love the premise of this book, and I think the superhero aspect is quite endearing. What a wonderful book to explore diversity and celebrate "differently-abled" children. Thank you for the lovely review.

sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

What a fantastic and important book! I love the representation. Here’s hoping that this book can reach and encourage the hearts of young ones and that other books will also come along that can help address older students. The more strong, smart, educational books out there that address bullying of specific groups and overall bullying the better. Thanks for a great review! It sounds like this was the perfect book for you to review.

mariah anne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mariah anne »

Wow. This is a nice book. It is good for childrens. There is a lesson in this story that children must learn. This is really good. This book can serve as an encouragement and inspiration to childrens and also youth.

ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Leadership
Currently Reading: Head Trauma
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches by John N. (Jake) Ferris

Post by ankushavhad »

Super Kena by Becky Cymbaluk looks yet another motivational children’s book. The story of a “differently-abled” girl, who seeks blessings from her hearing aids. Her turning into a super hero mode, must be fun. Kids will love it.

Nedbrian
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 89

Post by Nedbrian »

There are several lessons to pick from this book and one of which is learning not to remain fallen when bullied or belittled. If Kena had allowed her classmates to get the better part of her, I believe, their wouldn't be a super hero team. Exciting book and motivational read I must confess.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Elvis Best »

A children's book with a powerful message. I hope more children can read books like this and learn to appreciate their friends with disabilities
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Kids would definitely find something valuable out of this book. Thanks for the amazing review.

Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Paradise Rising by PG Shriver

Post by Chinelookeke »

I did not really have to read everything up to realize what an amazing book this would be for kids,though I read it all. Amazing book by the author and thanks to the reviewer for your honest review.

Return to “Children's Books”