Official Review: The Panda-emic Story by Alexandra Allred

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: My Special Day in Jasper,Texas USA by Jermaine Kenyatta

Official Review: The Panda-emic Story by Alexandra Allred

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Panda-emic Story" by Alexandra Allred.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Panda-emic Story by Alexandra Allred is a children’s picture book about what happens when a sick panda comes to the zoo. First, just one panda isn’t feeling well, but the sickness quickly spreads throughout the zoo. Some of the animals come together to help the sick ones. Others scorn the pandas and blame them for getting everyone sick. Many of the birds believe they can’t get sick because they are different from the other animals and can fly. When the zookeepers begin falling ill, the animals must decide whether or not to band together, which sometimes means choosing to stay apart.

I really appreciated the way this author was able to convey the story of the pandemic in a kid-friendly manner. Allred uses cute illustrations and simple vocabulary to convey complex themes and ideas. She shows how kindness is especially important in dark times and how we shouldn’t blame those who harm others without meaning to. There is a short section at the end of the book explaining what “endangered animals” and “caregivers” are. My only complaint about this book is that I think the author should have expanded this section to include information about social distancing, how viruses can affect anyone, and the other more complex themes explored in the story.

The illustrations in this story also contributed to its lovable, kid-friendly nature. Kerri Beckman has depicted all of the animals as line drawings with cute cartoon faces. I think these drawings will help kids see how these animals are much like we are. Making the animals relatable should help kids understand that the lessons in the book apply to our own lives as well.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Although I wanted the end notes to be longer, I couldn’t justify taking away a star for that small flaw. Between the great writing and adorable illustrations, I couldn’t find any mistakes in this book, so I’m happy to give it the highest score.

I would recommend this book to parents of kids ages four to eight. I think it would be best for parents to read this book with their kids so that they can explain how it relates to our situation today. I can imagine that many parents will be using books like this to explain to their children what the pandemic was and how we handled it for years to come.

The Panda-emic Story
View: on Bookshelves

Teddyquam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Teddyquam »

Well isn't that the cutest! Sad that we need to educate our kids on such a inherently dark topic but good that it's being done in an uplifting way. Would love to read this to my neice, except shes only just turned three!
:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: “Feedback is the breakfast of champions.” ~ Ken Blanchard :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

:text-feedback: :reading-7:

khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by khaulah »

Even though this is a book is for children, I think it would be helpful for some of the adults as well. A much needed book for the current times. Thank you for your review!

book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by book_fanatic_ »

I loved how the author has portrayed such complex themes in an adorable and fun way. Kids would love this one. Great review!
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard

sweethayatiyusoff99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sweethayatiyusoff99 »

the story of this book is very interesting to let kids know and aware of what happens to the world now day that can make the kids take care more on their health and not blame other persons if there has a problem or mistake. I think its good for kids' acknowledgment and many more.

Mrunalpatki
2019 Reading Goal: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Great theme of the book. Should be a fun but enlightening read for kids. I loved the title of the book too. Great review.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:

Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Seroney_ »

This would have been fun for me if I loved kids' books. Nice review

ANVO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by ANVO »

This is so cute! It pleases me to see how complex themes of the horrors we are currently passing through in the world as a community are put in such a simple manner. This review tells what the book is about really efficiently and it is interesting too! *thumbs up!

Sicily Joy
2019 Reading Goal: 48
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Thanks for the great review. I love that the writer used art and zoo animals to explain about pandemic. Also I agree that it was wonderful, that they talked about not blaming others. That element is a good way to discuss the racism expressed towards China.

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Have You Seen a Self-Driving Car?
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Online Meeting Survival Guide by Paul Richards

Post by MsH2k »

Wow, that was quick work by the author! What a timely message. Thanks for a great review.

Nedbrian
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 89

Post by Nedbrian »

Just about the right book for the current world situation. Every kid needs to understand the importance of team work no matter their age and this book does more than justice to that in explaining this one concept many kids fail to learn. No matter the source of an ill, everyone should join hands to solve the problem else it becomes unsolvable.

mpascal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpascal.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by mpascal »

I love this idea! As a teacher, I dread going back to the classroom and trying to find ways to explain what has happened in the year 2020. I like the idea of using a book like this to explain to students how to be kind and safe. Thanks for the review.

Maxwil1
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Maxwil1 »

This is so nice. The language, the tone and literature is on point.
It has given an insight of how pandemic diseases spread.
In reference to the Corona virus, it's showing clearly that don't visit the sick, don't care come in contact with the sick, don't mix up without social distances. Please don't take this as animal kingdom dedicated but for us human being to use it especially during this covid-19 times.
4/4

Flaka1996
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flaka1996 »

Wow!! Smart Way To Tell The Kids About What Is Happening The pandemic because a lot of kids ask why we use face mask and this story is the best for the kids to explain to them

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

One can easily relate to this book at this very point in time. Great way to teach kids about the outbreak. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”