Review by Leen282 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having enjoyed already two other books in the Inca Cat Detective series by R.F. Kristi, I was eager to read also number eight, Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula.

We meet again with Inca, the Siberian Detective Cat, her family, and her friends. They travel together to South Korea for a culinary competition where Missy, aka Mom, will be a judge. Missy will also present 'La Crème de la Crème', her very own cheese. Or is it Fromage's very own cheese? In South Korea, they befriend their guide and his dog. They learn about the guide's sister and her cat living in North Korea, and how they miss each other. Inca and the others are determined to help reunite their guide and his sister.

The book stands out with its drawings. They are colorful, with just enough details to pique the interest of children without overwhelming them. I only found the illustration on page 38 to be misplaced: it depicts two female chefs, but the actual cooking competition starts as of page 65 only. I also enjoy the characteristics given to the animals: they talk and behave like mini-humans.

The author includes a lot of background information in her book. The reader learns about the animals native to South Korea, the conflict between the North and the South, the Freedom Bridge, and its history. Where this is relevant information, I find the Korean conflict to be a bit too heavy for a children's book. I would not explain the background to my small children, and I don't think children who are old enough to begin to understand such a conflict would enjoy this book. Therefore, I don't give the full points but rate this book three out of four stars.

The book has just a few typos. I would recommend this book to parents and children who enjoy animal stories and want to learn about new countries and cultures.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This book has me interested. Cat like humans. Children will love.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Adanna Inya wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 14:49 This book has me interested. Cat like humans. Children will love.
Yes, it's really cute. Thanks for commenting.
Sushan
Currently Reading: The Borders of Normal
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Deadly Five by Raymond Maher
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

Including Korean politics in a children's book is not very appropriate. It is nice that you mentioned it. Thanks for the critical review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Sushan wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 20:46 Including Korean politics in a children's book is not very appropriate. It is nice that you mentioned it. Thanks for the critical review 👍👍
Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

What sort of age range is the book aimed at? I agree with Sushan and your review - I'm not sure politics is a great idea in a kids book!
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

ThomasCShearman1976 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 03:04 What sort of age range is the book aimed at? I agree with Sushan and your review - I'm not sure politics is a great idea in a kids book!
Amazon gives the age range of 4-12. The younger kids would definitely love the drawings and the cat stories, but I doubt lots of 12year olds would still go for this kind of book.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:

Leen282 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 03:07
ThomasCShearman1976 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 03:04 What sort of age range is the book aimed at? I agree with Sushan and your review - I'm not sure politics is a great idea in a kids book!
Amazon gives the age range of 4-12. The younger kids would definitely love the drawings and the cat stories, but I doubt lots of 12year olds would still go for this kind of book.
Great, thanks for the quick reply. I've got lots of 6-8-year-old nieces and nephews and some of them have just been given a cat. I was thinking about it as a birthday present for them. Cheers!
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

ThomasCShearman1976 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 03:09
Great, thanks for the quick reply. I've got lots of 6-8-year-old nieces and nephews and some of them have just been given a cat. I was thinking about it as a birthday present for them. Cheers!
I read two others in this series, and they would make great gifts for that age range. I reviewed also book seven in the series and had as only minor comment a few typos. I prefer book seven to this one.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:

Leen282 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 03:11
ThomasCShearman1976 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 03:09

I read two others in this series, and they would make great gifts for that age range. I reviewed also book seven in the series and had as only minor comment a few typos. I prefer book seven to this one.
Top tips! Thanks :)
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by J_odoyo »

Sounds like a nice book. I think children will love it so much. Thanks for your nice review.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

J_odoyo wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 04:04 Sounds like a nice book. I think children will love it so much. Thanks for your nice review.
Thanks for your visit.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

This book sounds like adventure for kids. The characters also seem to have been handpicked as they tend to relate to children easily. Nice review.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Caffrey_19 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 10:37 This book sounds like adventure for kids. The characters also seem to have been handpicked as they tend to relate to children easily. Nice review.
Thanks for your comment.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Fleet of Knives
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Whatever It Takes by Heaton Wilson

Post by NetMassimo »

A nice book for children to learn about Korean animals while having fun. Useful for parents and to be given as a gift to children. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”