Official Review: Aurora and the Thief by Becky Bird

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Aurora and the Thief by Becky Bird

Official Review: Aurora and the Thief by Becky Bird

Post by KristyKhem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aurora and the Thief" by Becky Bird.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aurora and the Thief is a delightful retelling of the fairytale, Sleeping Beauty. The author, Becky Bird, crafts a humorous band of characters who will keep every reader entertained till the end. The story follows Princess Aurora who is nearly killed by her evil stepmother on the day of her coronation. Thankfully, her maidservant prevents her from dying by placing her under a sleeping spell that can only be broken by true love’s kiss. The sleeping princess is hidden away for years until she is awoken by Phillip, a thief who is on the run from Adam, the Prince of Morven. Phillip tricks Aurora into believing that he is indeed Prince Adam and agrees to help her find her kingdom because he secretly wants to steal from it. However, this is easier said than done. The princess is in danger because Aurora’s evil stepmother has been searching for her to retrieve the star moonstone, a protective gemstone that Aurora possesses.

Aurora was a strong female lead. The men around her didn’t support her interests because they believed that things like sword-fighting weren’t suitable for a female, especially a royal female. They all wanted her to dress nicely, be less talkative, and give up sword-fighting. I admired Aurora because she never conformed to their expectations. She always stood up for herself and questioned them on why certain things were proper for a prince but not a princess. Since this is a book for children and teens, I think that Aurora is a good role model for girls. This is a very positive feature of this book and it is what I liked the most.

I also appreciated the humor in the story. All of the characters in this story had me laughing out loud. Their antics brought the entire story alive in my mind. Everyone wasn’t whom I expected them to be. Phillip was always stealing and getting caught, but he always claimed he was innocent. He also had a strange penchant for silk and fine fabrics. Aurora wasn’t a proper princess because she loved sword-fighting, foraging for truffles, catching frogs, and climbing trees. Prince Adam was so enchanted by his handsomeness that he found it was difficult to accept rejection. These traits made the characters unique and funny.

Bits and pieces of this story reminded me of other fairytale movies, like Disney’s Tangled, which also featured a thieving male lead and an evil mother figure who wanted to remain young forever. Although this book followed a typical fairytale plot, some of the things couldn’t be predicted. I was pleasantly surprised at the ending when King Donald’s note revealed shocking truths. Besides this, I liked that the predictable things were stated straightaway, such as the villainous nature of Aurora’s stepmother.

There wasn’t anything that I disliked about this book. The book was written in a friendly tone and the language was easy to follow. I only spotted two minor errors, but these didn’t disrupt my reading at all. Older children and teens will surely like this story, especially girls. They may be able to relate to some of the personalities that were presented in this book. Adults who like fairytales will also enjoy reading Aurora and the Thief. I am pleased to rate this well-written book 4 out of 4 stars because I loved its fascinating bunch of characters, the strong female lead, and simple language.

Aurora and the Thief
View: on Bookshelves

khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by khaulah »

I'm an adult, but I would love to read the book. I love reading fairy tales and this one sounds like there's a good twist to it. Thank you for your review!

Vicky-kooro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Vicky-kooro »

It's great to see that the book was written in a friendly tone and the language was easy to follow. I also appreciated the used humor in the story. I enjoyed reading your review

sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Loving the reimagining of a princess story, giving some power and grit to Aurora! I think it’s fantastic when authors give young girls a role model who asks questions and doesn’t just follow orders or go with “what has always been done.” Major woot points. The spin on Phillip is also clever, and it makes me really curious about the story. Was there any romance in the book?

Thanks for the great review! I’m thinking I need to get my hands on a copy. ^^

Akhila-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Akhila-1 »

Leaving fairy tales gives an hope of happy endings after the hardships of life. It makes us see through the pain of gaining happiness. But in this story a beauty is, a thief kissing a girl as true love. Their is hard core man but the girl is fragile little one. Even a hard core will change and can make a delicate doll queen shows it's uniqueness.

Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Slater678 »

I have always treasured fairy tales so I`ll wholeheartedly recommend this book to the younger readership. Thanks for the enjoyable review.

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Regardless of my age, it sounds like this is very much my cup of tea :) There's nothing like a little bit of magic! Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review :)

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Sunday diamond »

The book sounds well, and it raised my interest in fairytales, Though I've not tried a foreign fairy-tale but those fairy-tale written in my country. Well done on your review.

KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Aurora and the Thief by Becky Bird

Post by KristyKhem »

sirbobthewise wrote:
28 May 2020, 05:10
Loving the reimagining of a princess story, giving some power and grit to Aurora! I think it’s fantastic when authors give young girls a role model who asks questions and doesn’t just follow orders or go with “what has always been done.” Major woot points. The spin on Phillip is also clever, and it makes me really curious about the story. Was there any romance in the book?

You'll enjoy this one! Yes, there is mild romance in the story. There aren't any intimate scenes, just kissing, but without any details.

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This seems like an interesting take on a classic fairytale. I think the fact that it takes a different approach to the story is what makes it super appealing to read.

sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

KristyKhem wrote:
28 May 2020, 22:40
sirbobthewise wrote:
28 May 2020, 05:10

You'll enjoy this one! Yes, there is mild romance in the story. There aren't any intimate scenes, just kissing, but without any details.
Thanks so much for answering my question! I like a tough princess, but I definitely still like a little romance, so that makes me happy to hear. ^^

Sheetal_22564
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheetal-22564.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sheetal_22564 »

I had always lived the fairy tale of Aurora but seeing another of it's version as in female strong protagonist is a mesmerising one! Although the thematic characterization of Philip is something funny for me but nonetheless it's a great book!

Kirsi_78
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Kirsi_78 »

This book sounds hilarious! :) I think I am not going to wait until my children are old enough to read this, I'll just read it myself. I also enjoyed your review very much, thanks for a terrific job.

Flamingo28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flamingo28 »

This book is ok. I dont really like that Aurora was nearly killed because its kinda like......... sad and ye. In my opinion i think this story should be a little more kinder because kids might read this book and they might get a little sad you know?

👍

kae_mad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kae_mad »

This book sounds enjoyable to read! I love how Aurora isn't the type of princess that needs to be saved. I very much agree with you that she will be a good role model to girls. I love how the male leads, Philip and Prince Adam, aren't the typical leads that is just written to save the princess. Instead, they were written as humourous character that gives them more personality.

Overall, when I read your review, I thought that this will be a great fairytale for children and even adults might be interested in this story since the plot and characters are not what you really expect in a fairytale.

Return to “Children's Books”