Official Review: Dig, the Search for Dinosaurs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bb587
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: Dig, the Search for Dinosaurs by Stuart Plotkin

Official Review: Dig, the Search for Dinosaurs

Post by bb587 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dig, the Search for Dinosaurs" by Stuart Plotkin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dig, the Search for Dinosaurs by Stuart Plotkin is a non-fiction book. It is unique since it focuses more on the experience of digging for dinosaurs rather than the bones themselves.

Plotkin never gave up his childhood fascination with dinosaurs. So, in his thirties, he signed up to join his first dig. Throughout the years, he learned a lot on these summer excursions. It was not his primary job, nor is he a famous paleontologist. He simply enjoyed the experiences and wanted to share them with others.

This book consists of several anecdotes and a few facts. He talks about the times when they found amazing collections of bones and successfully retrieved them for museum study. He also talks about the times when things didn’t quite go as planned. There are a few recollections that have more to do with the places he visited and the people he visited them with rather than anything to do with the digs. Throughout the book, he uses technical terms, but he’s careful to explain what everything means. There was never a point where I was unable to follow along. There are also several reference sections available as well as several pictures. In fact, he repeated himself often with his explanations. For example, we learned that MYA stands for “million years ago” several times.

At first, I was enjoying Plotkin’s recollections. He described everything so well that I felt I could have been alongside him for his adventures. This quickly became tedious. Most of these digs occur in the same type of environment: the desert. A few of the stories had nothing to do with searching and digging up dinosaur bones. There was one in particular, “Ghosts from the past,” on page 47 was about a ghost encounter he had in North Dakota. They were not ghosts of dinosaurs or paleontologists, but rather Native Americans. It was so out-of-place, it had me wondering why it was included in the book at all.

While the cover page states this is the second edition of the book, I found an overabundance of errors. The narrative switches frequently between past and present tense, often within the same paragraph. The indentations of paragraphs also change based on what page you’re looking at, though without any real rhyme or reason. When there was a picture, it was hard to tell what text was specifically supposed to describe the picture. Some pictures had no notes at all. In one instance, a sentence seemed to be cut off with a picture, but the sentence didn’t pick up again anywhere. There were other spacing issues, grammatical errors, and repetition.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I took away a star for all the errors. I took another away since I grew bored reading it. Still, it was interesting to learn what happens on these digs. I’ve only ever seen them on TV and movies. Even then, they only show the exciting parts. I would recommend this to those interested in dinosaurs and bone recovery. I would not recommend it to young readers.

Dig, the Search for Dinosaurs
View: on Bookshelves

Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Open Book
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

It's to bad that the book was lacking in so many areas. Perhaps another round of editing and revision would help? However, I agree with you that this book would be interesting for those who are interested in dinosaurs. Great job on your review!

Sheila_Jay
2019 Reading Goal: 96
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Sheila_Jay »

It is unfortunate that the book features multiple errors that impacts on a reader's experience. I am hoping that the author will fix the issues in the subsequent editions/versions of the book. Thanks for the honest review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dannyphery »

Too many errors in a book can turn the reader off. The story does sound interesting though.
Lovely review. Thanks

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

It sounds like a book that would have very interesting if intentional work was done on it. Thanks for a honest review.

GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: The Lost Years of Billy Battles
Bookshelf Size: 587
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:techie-studyinggray: Dig, the Search for Dinosaurs by Stuart Plotkin sounds like the kind of book someone with a background in paleontology would enjoy reading since most of this book borders on related issues. You said that you found it a bit boring, I would think a subject like this would become ad nauseum at some point. Thank you for your honesty in your review. Excellent job!

bb587

Post by bb587 »

GiselleBengochea wrote:
23 May 2020, 12:50
:techie-studyinggray: someone with a background in paleontology would enjoy reading since most of this book borders on related issues.
You absolutely don't need to know anything about paleontology to read this. It's more for those that have a casual interest in the subject. In fact, if you read this already knowing a lot about paleontology, you'd probably want more details on the actual discoveries.

Thanks for your comment though!

Leen282
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Leen282 »

This book has a promising title, my kids love dinosaurs. However, from your review I don't think this is the kind of book they will enjoy. Kids already have a relatively short attention span, if a book about dinosaurs then takes a detour to talk about other topics, they would not enjoy it.
Thanks for your honest review.

Reubeney
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Mobius
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Reubeney »

The book would be interesting to anyone in paleontology. Though the topic on digging in search for dinosaurs sounds charming and very intriguing.

Anindita Roy
Currently Reading: The God of Small Things
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Anindita Roy »

Thanks a tonne for the insightful and honest review. Although the plot is engaging, reading a book which is loaded with errors could have a negative impact on the child. This book would help in stimulating the reader's imagination.

kae_mad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kae_mad »

Thanks for the detailed review! As someone who is interested in dinosaurs, I would love to read this book since it has lots of facts about dinosaurs and talks about a lot of adventures that can stimulate one's imagination.

It would be nice if the author will release a revised version and this time the content can be more child friendly since a lot of kids would love to read about dinosaurs.

bb587

Post by bb587 »

kae_mad wrote:
Yesterday, 08:01
a lot of kids would love to read about dinosaurs.
It's really more about digging for dinosaurs. While there are facts about dinosaurs too, the real point of the book is to share the experience of digging for bones. Not that this couldn't necessarily be interesting for children, but it's not quite the same as reading about dinosaurs.

Return to “Children's Books”