Official Review: Little Bluebird by Erin Murphy Welch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 367
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Little Bluebird by Erin Murphy Welch
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Little Bluebird by Erin Murphy Welch

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Little Bluebird" by Erin Murphy Welch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emmi is a bluebird with a rare trait. She was hatched with one wing shorter than the other. While this makes her different from all of the other birds, she doesn’t allow her shorter wing to hinder her in any way. In her book, Little Bluebird, Erin Murphy Welch showcases all of the ways that Emmi, although dissimilar, is perfect just the way she is.

The lesson of this book has far-reaching effects. It teaches children that there is never a reason to treat someone adversely simply because they are not the same as you. Some children have to try a little harder than others, and this should be applauded, not belittled. Unfortunately, these days it may also be a good idea for some adults to take heed of this little lesson.

The illustrations take up most of Little Bluebird, and they are delightful. Set in a square format as opposed to the usual rectangular book layout, the illustrations cover every page from corner to corner. There is one simple line of text on most of the pages that covers the narrative of the story. So, while the actual story itself is short, I think it’s great that the illustrations show a diverse collection of characters. As the title suggests, Emmi is a bluebird, but her friends are black and orange and pink and green. There are some tall birds and some little ones. There is a blind bird and another in a wheelchair. As far as diversity is concerned, the author has covered her bases. This is so important in a children’s book.

Because the book itself is so short and to the point, it’s easy to read as a bedtime story for younger kids. I would recommend it for the 3 – 6 age bracket or to keep in a classroom for beginner readers. There really is not much to dislike about this book and I happily rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Aside from a few unnecessarily capitalised words, the editing is also great.

It’s never too early to start teaching children about acceptance and diversity. In its simple form, Little Bluebird teaches one of the most vital values in life. Everyone is unique and exceptional in their own way and should get the support they deserve in order to be great.

Little Bluebird
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Being different most times is hard to take in, but realising that you don't have to fit in but always stand out, helps you rise above that challenge. I already love this book and I can't wait to enjoy it as you did. Thank you for sharing.

nageena_rasheed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by nageena_rasheed »

Teaching kids by telling them verbally is not as practically sussessfull as illustrating before them either by your actions or by showing them videos or in this case illustrated books as they will surely learn it by heart and later use in real life situation as well. The writer has done her job to the fullest to teach kids that there should no distinction among birds/people with or without dosabilities.

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Miller56 »

This sounds like a great book to teach acceptance of people who do not look like us. Thanks for the great review.

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Pink & Blue by Flordelisa Mota

Post by Cecilia_L »

Hi Bianka! I'm so fond of children's books, and this one sounds delightful. I love the lesson it illustrates. Thanks for another excellent review!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

I love the fact that adults can also relate. In a world where lots of people have become so cruel and insensitive to the plight of other, this is welcome. And people who are dissimilar will be able to build confidence and esteem through reading this book. Thanks for a great review.

Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Destiny's Tyme by Amariah Sakinah

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

A strong lesson to kids that they are perfect just the way they are; their seeming "weakness" is actually their super power.

Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html

Post by Zee_Zee »

This is a wonderful book to teach children and even adults about self acceptance. being comfortable in your skin and equally accepting others just the way they are in this diverse world. Great review!

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

I love children books. This one has a very important lesson for children. you must love yourself for whom you are and respect others for whom they are as well. Great review.

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The story of Emmi in this book actually affirms that there's ability in disability. Moreso, our weaknesses most time is what distinguishes us to the place of prominence. Great review.

Rainbowland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainbowland.html
Latest Review: Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee

Post by Rainbowland »

I love the way the author has made sure to include a wide range of disabilities, showing were all different and should be accepted the way we are. Great review.

Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I'd love to tell lessons from this book to my kids.

I will definitely add to my bookshelf and read it with them.

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dannyphery »

Wow... This is a lovely piece.
I'm sure the children would love it.
Nice review.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Magnify3 »

A lot of good lessons to learn from this book. Thank you for this review!

DEEPA PUJARI
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: The Immensity of Love by Angel Tann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

The review reminds me of Nemo in Finding Nemo who is born with a short fin. The moral in the story is good. I think this will make a nice children's movie.

Return to “Children's Books”