Official Review: The Adventures of Rockford T. Honeypot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: First Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Plunder by Keith Wilson

Official Review: The Adventures of Rockford T. Honeypot

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Rockford T. Honeypot" by Josh Gottsegen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." –Les Brown

After bankrupting the family business, young Rockford T. Honeypot became a failure in his father's eyes. With no other choice but to set out on his own, he aims for a lofty dream: to claim an unshelled diamond "that can change the entire forest with its glow." His journey isn't comfortable; he's terrified of germs and haunted by his fears of failing again. He will have to learn to see that "beauty is everywhere. Sometimes [he'll] just need to look from a different angle." With his hopes high, Rockford will do his best to emulate his childhood hero Captain James T. and "be bold and blossom."

The Adventures of Rockford T. Honeypot, by Josh Gottsegen, is a middle-grade adventure novel. Most stories in this genre center around an 8-to-12-year-old protagonist who faces an age-appropriate challenge that forces them to step slightly out of their comfort zone to achieve growth by the end of the novel. This adventure, however, spans the entire rags-to-riches story of the now-elderly Rockford as he tells his tale to his young great-grandson at the Green-Hut Market 39 in front of an ever-growing crowd of animals.

Creativity knows no bounds within this whimsical story. From the woodland version of Captain James T. Kirk to the ever-popular forest version of social media called Whisker, Gottsegen creates a vivid parallel word in Tropland. Catchy sayings like "cheers to both ears," and encouraging messages provide a fun and often nutty backdrop for the young Rocky T. as he lives his life and pursues his dreams. I particularly enjoyed the variety of furry friends throughout the novel and loved the inventive ways that the human world was replicated in a woodland environment. It also features delightful hand-drawn sketches at the start of each chapter. I loved the black and white images of Rockford, his family, and scenes from his adventure.

The story is sprinkled with insightful tidbits and little life-lessons presented in simple language and short recaps of the main events in Rockford's life. The book follows two timelines: one in the present that follows the events at the Green-Hut Market, and one in the past that reveals where Rockford started and how he became the famous chipmunk he is today. Rockford has been missing from the public eye for about eight years, and the forest critters are more than eager to learn his origin story.

The only thing that I didn't like about this book was the abrupt switch from childlike adventures of learning to cook from a renowned chef and martial arts training in the mountains to Rockford's first time getting drunk and picking up women at a bar. The book further jumps into the more adult-like concepts of marriage, the difficulties of raising children, starting a business, fighting off solicitors and lawsuits, and even stocks and legal paperwork. The fermented crabapples seemed a little inappropriate for the target age group. The latter topics may be of value to introduce kids to courtship and running a business, but I'm not certain they will hold a young reader's attention.

The book is overall well-edited, but I found more than ten errors throughout its 236 pages. The editing errors and the age-inappropriate content reduce my rating to a 3 out of 4. I recommend that parents take the subject matter into consideration before allowing a young reader to pick up the book, but anyone 13-years-old and up will find an engaging story. There is no swearing, but there is a bit of mild kissing and romance in Rockford's adult life. The finale is bittersweet and satisfying with an ending that comes full-circle.

The Adventures of Rockford T. Honeypot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

An 8-12 year old child manages to bankrupt a business? Wonderful! I'll love to find out. Thanks for a great review.

Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Sounds like an interesting story. Uncovering Rockford's motive is something that I'm inclined to find out. Honest review. Thank you.

FEislandqueen13
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I came because of the cover. While the story has potential I'm disappointed to learn that it holds content not appropriate for its target audience. :(
great review.
“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss

JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Sorry I Missed You
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I'm always looking for good books to recommend to my upper elementary students. I'll have to check this one out to evaluate the appropriateness. Thank you!

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dannyphery »

Sounds like a nice story though dissapointed with the errors and inappropriate contents for kids.
Thanks for the honest review though

Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I like that the book is inspirational to kids and introduces them the idea and importance of having a mentor in life. Nice review.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Magnify3 »

This is quite an interesting book. I am amused by the woodland version of Captain James T. Kirk and the ever-popular forest version of social media called whisker. Thanks for this review!

Giyos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Giyos »

Book which starts with such a interesting summary admire people more ,not only children but also adults i hope this book gonna be favourite one for children!!!

damis
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Post by damis »

That sounds like a rather sweet story, to a degree. Probably not my style, then again I'm far from the target audience. Great review!

Courtney Walker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Courtney Walker »

I'm always looking for good books to read to my nieces and nephew. This seem to be a wonderful book they would love to read along too!

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Starting from the reviewer's name to the story in the book, it's adventure all the way. The adventure of Rockford at that early age in life is quite amazing. Thanks for your detailed review.

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

The book may be interesting for those who prefer the genre, but I don't think that I'm in the target audience and so hope to pass on this one.
Great review!

Caffrey_19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caffrey_19 »

It’s not about how many times you fall, it’s about being willing and able to rise back up and keep moving. An eye opening book plus a remarkable review. Good job
:tiphat:

DEEPA PUJARI
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: The Immensity of Love by Angel Tann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Good review. It sounds like a great book for my 7-year-old as he likes gems and adventure.

Return to “Children's Books”