Official Review: The House and the Doormat by Sherry Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Poetry Dead to Society by Cee Jay Spring

Official Review: The House and the Doormat by Sherry Martin

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The House and the Doormat" by Sherry Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The House and the Doormat by Sherry Martin is a children’s picture book. Ramona, a beautiful house, is always putting down Dusty, the doormat. Although Seemore, the window, says that Ramona will realize how important Dusty is one day, Dusty begins to lose his self-confidence due to Ramona’s mean comments. When Ramona is entered into a beautiful house contest, Dusty and Seemore worry that she will become more insufferable than ever. Will Dusty’s disappearance change Ramona’s viewpoint or will she be too busy admiring herself to notice his absence? Pick up a copy of this book to find out.

By far, my favorite part of this book is the illustrations by Lynda Farrington Wilson. I wasn’t sure how to imagine a living house made up of other living parts, but each picture helped me to see how Ramona, Dusty, and Seemore interacted. Furthermore, the illustrations really brought the characters to life and made me empathize with them as they displayed a wide range of emotions.

I also enjoyed the story in this book. The plot had just enough surprises to keep me interested, but the ending still managed to wrap up the story nicely. I could never guess where our characters were headed next, but each event included made sense within the context of the story. I really appreciated this, as many children’s books don’t include surprising elements.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed both the writing and illustrations, and I didn’t find any errors in it. My only complaint is that the font is a little small, but I didn’t think this was a big enough issue to merit removing a star.

I would recommend this book to parents of children ages six to nine. This would be a great book to read with a kid who struggles with self-esteem like Dusty. Alternatively, it could spark empathy in children who tend to exclude others like Ramona does. Either way, this book has valuable lessons for all young children to learn.

The House and the Doormat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

It is really funny imagining a living house, doormat, and a window, but I could picture the house/mat relationship as a boss/employee or a master/servant relationship.So I think adults can also relate to this book not just children.Nice review.

waltonj7480
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by waltonj7480 »

I really like this . Reading this too my brother I know he will enjoy it and laugh . This could almost be a movie.

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

A talking house with different talking parts. I know I would love it so its a must read. A beautiful review there

blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by blessing_bona »

As a teacher, I see how much I can teach my children about teamwork, tolerance, and appreciation through this book.
Adults can benefit from it too

JohnKasha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnkasha.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by JohnKasha »

This is a book that is funny and at the same time friendly to kids. Thanks for the review!

kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Intwine by Christina Moss
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

This book sounds like it has a definite message and purpose. A child with self-esteem issues could relate to Dusty in a positive way. Having a talking house, window, and doormat, is a unique idea to engage children. This book could be a beneficial resource for teachers and parents to discuss self-esteem concerns with their students and children. Thank you for the excellent review.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: The Vanishing
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Resilience, Grace and the Art of Showing Up by Luannah Victoria Arana

Post by Laura Lee »

Thanks for an awesome review! It was helpful to know the age spread of the intended audience. I'm always on the lookout for good quality children's books. This sounds good!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

An absolute delight for kids!

JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Biff Goes to Walmart by Scott Scheibner

Post by JKO »

This book has a good plot. It also has colorful illustrations which makes it more relatable for kids. This is an excellent review.

FEislandqueen13
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

This is a great book for my little brother whose building his self esteem one day at a time. It has colorful pictures, a delightful plot and life lessons that will with resonate with kids long after the story is over. :mrgreen:
“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss

Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

I really loved how the author used illustrations to paint a perfect picture of the characters, helping the reader empathize with them as they displayed a wide range of emotions. Great review.

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I love the use of illustrations in the book. This would really be good moral lesson to teach the children during story time. Nice review.

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Rapture of The Church has been Canceled
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: 25 Days of Roses by Mellanie Brown

Post by MsH2k »

What a marvelous book! I love the names, especially Dusty the doormat and Seemore the window. I hope Dusty feels appreciated after all. Great review!

DEEPA PUJARI
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: The Immensity of Love by Angel Tann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a great book to help children learn to value everyone equally. This book has a hidden moral that gives food for thought. Great Review.

Return to “Children's Books”