Official Review: Looice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Poetry Dead to Society by Cee Jay Spring

Official Review: Looice

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looice" by Ben Goldstein and Phillip Namanworth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looice by Ben Goldstein and Phillip Namanworth is a whimsical picture book for kids. Looice (pronounced “Lewis”) is a representation of the kid in all of us. The book follows his day at the beach, where he tries to drink the tide, plant peanuts in the sand, and put sunglasses on moles.

I enjoyed the simple whimsy of this colorful children’s book. The illustrations and lettering contribute to the playful nature of the story, as they look like line drawings with colors painted inside. The pictures resemble elevated children’s paintings, and the words are incorporated into the story using a similar style.

Although the actual plot of the book is very simple, just following Looice’s day at the beach, the overall product feels professional and thought-out. I think children would enjoy the daydream-like quality that Looice’s adventures have. He isn’t represented as a child or an adult, although he does have a full beard. Instead, he’s meant to be a character that is, first and foremost, young at heart.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book even though it doesn’t have a complex plot. The illustrations and story work together to create a whimsical world representative of the imagination we all have. In addition, I didn’t find any errors in the book, which added to the sense of professionalism I got from it.

I would recommend this book to parents of children ages three to seven. For young kids, this would be a good, short book to read aloud. Beginning readers should be able to tackle this book with a little help from their parents. While older kids might prefer a more complex story, I expect Looice to charm both young children and their parents as they follow him during his day at the beach.

Looice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

NASRUNA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by NASRUNA »

I absolutely adore children's books and this glowing review made me add this to my shelf. Thank you for the endorsement.

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: The Vanishing
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Resilience, Grace and the Art of Showing Up by Luannah Victoria Arana

Post by Laura Lee »

This sounds like a thoroughly charming book. I particularly like how the illustrations worked so well with the text. Thanks for your review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

damis
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Post by damis »

Illustrations tend to be the most important part of children's book, given their attention span. This one seems like a good one. Do you think it would be a good idea to use it to teach kids how to read?

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

This seems like a very fun and delightful book. Thanks for the great review!

tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by tjportugal »

Thanks for the insightful review. If you recommend this book to children aged three to seven, it might be a good bed-time story or a book that kids could use in school while learning how to read and write.
Cheers
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!

Return to “Children's Books”