Official Review: The Door to Far-Myst by Mike DiCerto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: The Door to Far-Myst by Mike DiCerto

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Door to Far-Myst" by Mike DiCerto.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Door to Far-Myst is a children’s book that follows the adventures of our imaginative character Rupert Dullz as he travels to the land of Far-Myst. It is the first book of the Adventures of Rupert Starbright series. Based on his imagination and experiences as a storyteller, Mike DiCerto brings the character of Rupert into life, equipped with an imagination as vivid as the author can allow.

While Rupert, along with other children, was raking leaves in the boring world of Graysland, a bizarre hot-air balloon appeared from the sky. There came a colorful fellow named Pie O’Sky who invites the child with the best “imagination” (something that is unheard of in Graysland) to open a mysterious door to Far-Myst. While the other children failed at this task, Rupert was the only one who succeeds. He, along with Pie O’Sky, traveled to the land of Far-Myst where every imaginative thing becomes alive. But Rupert would soon realize that the land of Far-Myst is plagued with a force of evil. Will he be able to save the land with his newly-acquired power of imagination?

At first, I find it strange that the book contained no pictures other than the cover page as this is meant to be a children’s book. But as I read the book, I realized it is enjoyable to read even just by relying on one’s own imagination. The author makes great use of descriptive language to paint a world where one can easily get lost into. Because of this, the land of Far-Myst felt like a world that became alive because of the imagination.

This idea about the imagination becomes more apparent when the author contrasts this with the pragmatic world of Graysland. The theme still pops up even if the main character (Rupert) is in Far-Myst. This shows that the role of imagination is interconnected with being pragmatic, as we see when Rupert solves problems with his imagination. The author does a good job of developing such a theme.

I didn’t find anything that I disliked about the book. It is a well-paced story, and the characters are interesting. Overall, The Door to Far-Myst is a good book that helps children develop their imagination with the power of words. Because of all of these, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book may not be suitable for children under the age of seven because of the lack of pictures, but it is a great book for those who already know how to read.

The Door to Far-Myst
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a very interesting book, and I’m sure that kids will enjoy it. Thank you for your review.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Enjoyable relying on one's own imagination? That's incredible! I mean, for children's books. I thought pictures appeal to them the most. I'll have to check out this one to see for myself.
AJ_Drenda
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-drenda.html
Latest Review: Land of Kings by Virginia Weldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AJ_Drenda »

Thank you for your review. It sounds like a fun children's book to read.
I wonder, because you mention pictures quite a lot, how many pages does the book have?
Is it an early reader chapter book?
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

Young children live in the land of imagination. Even when playing they have active imaginations that come to life. I believe the author is trying to also live in that fantasy land so he can relate to his young audience.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

I have been looking for a book to recommend for my neice and this seems like the perfect one.
Thank you for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”