Official Review: What am I by Stephen Thiele

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: What am I by Stephen Thiele

Official Review: What am I by Stephen Thiele

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What am I" by Stephen Thiele.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What am I? Your Wild Imagination, by Stephen Thiele, is a children’s book that aims to develop the imagination of children through a collection of short stories — or better-said — short riddles. The author got the inspiration to write this brain-teasing piece from one of his babysitting sessions with his four grandchildren: Ruby, Lacey, Matilda, and Louise.

What was special about this read was this ingenious, clever, and playful game that the author instigated to further his grandchildren’s education. I reconnected with my inner child during this traditional riddle-game, and the animated photographs made it more interesting by providing visual clues to the riddles’ answers. At the same time, through these pictures, the author introduces us to his family members, including his grandchildren who brought their own contributions to this creative work. These wonderful aspects left me with no choice but to give a resounding 4 out of 4-star rating.

The writer has perfectly blended different stories involving plants, animals, and other inanimate objects to create a light read that can help children become more creative with their thoughts by expanding their imaginations and writing their own short stories in the form of riddles. One of my favorites was the ninja turtles riddle, reminding me of my childhood friends, Raphael, Donatello, Leonardo, and Michelangelo.

We all know how important grammar is in a children’s book, and this amusing piece seems to be professionally edited as I didn’t notice any errors. I would recommend this rib-tickling book to parents and educators who handle innocent souls between 7 and 10 years old. Yet again, I must admit that being an adult wouldn’t stop me from playing it too.

The first volume already created an addictive feeling; it’s entertaining, thought-provoking, and engaging. I’m looking forward to reading Volume II with great anticipation so that I can get a complete dose of the fun.

What am I
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
Keep It Stupid Simple!

fadjei
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: What's Heartfulness? by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by fadjei »

Sounds like a great book for kids. I like how it encourages them to be creative and think for themselves. It's important to develop critical thinking skills as we need those in life. This book helps with that.This is such a great review.
Thanks for the review!

Anto aja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anto aja »

I strongly support this book, because the goal is to train children's intelligence ... and if children are intelligent we will automatically get superior human fighting 💪

JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

Post by JoyALB »

It sounds like a wonderful book for kids and it seems like adults can enjoy it too! 😀 I also really enjoyed your review. Well done!

Anto aja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anto aja »

I strongly support this book, because supporting to train children's intelligence ... and if our smart kids will automatically get superior human resources 💪

tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Doppelgänger
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by tjportugal »

Thanks for the great review. Being a primary school teacher, i'm always searching for this kind of books.

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Thanks for this review. I like that the book is chiefly aimed at building children's capacity. It must be a good read!

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: Making Sense of Poetry by Rex W Last

Post by Ogoskino »

I am glad to see that this book does not contain errors. This is an important feature of what children books should have. Thanks for the review.

Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Princepetr10 »

This book by Stephen Thiele, is a children’s book . I like this book because it will help develop the imagination of kids and also the reader .

Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Princepetr10 »

Anto aja wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:45
I strongly support this book, because supporting to train children's intelligence ... and if our smart kids will automatically get superior human resources 💪
Yes I strongly agree with you. This book is helpful for kids , and Improve their knowledge .

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Le Mutt
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: You Are Not A Loser by Wallace Gustafson

Post by kdstrack »

Children in this age group love riddles! This book would be an excellent way to spend a few humorous moments with them. I like this book, too, as a gift idea! Thanks for the recommendation.

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

You wrote an wonderful review! I enjoyed reading it. I may read this book as well!

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by praise+anyi »

Brain teasers are a wonderful way of developing the mind of a child. I also feel that adults have a lot of knowledge to pick up from this book too. Great review!

Kanda_theGreat
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm glad that this book is professionally edited.
Great review!
Bet on Me!

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: What am I by Stephen Thiele

Post by InStoree »

@fadjei @Anto aja @JoyALB @tjportugal @Cynthia_Oluchi @Ogoskino @Princepetr10 @kdstrack @Salma_asa @praise+anyi @Kanda_theGreat
Thank you, my friends, for your comments and for all the kind, supportive words. If you feel in the mood to play this riddle-game, please join us at the following link:
https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 6#p1369106
It's DATo's turn right now. The more we are, the more fun.
Stay safe.
Keep It Stupid Simple!

Return to “Children's Books”