Official Review: Belle and the Great Rescue by Don Pope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Belle and the Great Rescue by Don Pope

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Belle and the Great Rescue" by Don Pope.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Belle and the Great Rescue by Don Pope is a children’s picture book about Belle, a puppy who meets a new friend. While Belle was playing outside with her favorite toy one day, it rolled under a thorny bush. Belle couldn’t reach the ball through the thorns and wasn’t sure what to do until a fairy appeared to help her rescue her ball.

From reading this book, I can tell that the author put thought into the reading level of his audience. He uses techniques to teach new readers, such as repeating the phrase “big red ball” over and over. Then, big is used in a different context to reinforce this word by itself. I appreciated that the whole book was kept to a low reading level so that beginning readers can tackle it by themselves. The author included one more advanced word (princess). This, too, seemed like a conscious choice, as most children are familiar with the word princess even if they haven’t read it before.

I appreciated the effort put into the vocabulary chosen for this book, but I wish the author would have put more effort into the story. Once the fairy appears, nothing unexpected happens. It’s a very simplistic story with no twists or turns in the plot, and character development is minimal at best. I understand that many children’s books contain simple storylines, but I think the author could have included one or two more surprises in Belle’s adventures.

The illustrations also made me pause. Although the text describes the fairy standing on Belle’s nose, this isn’t actually depicted, and the fairy seems to grow throughout the book. When she first appears, she’s about the size of Belle’s head. Then, she is as tall as Belle, who is standing on four legs. Later, she is taller than Belle, who is standing up on two legs. I couldn’t find a reason for this inconsistency, and I think this would be confusing to a child reading the book.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The storyline made sense, the vocabulary used was very consistent, and I didn't find any errors in the text. However, I would have appreciated more surprises and more consistent depictions of the characters. I would recommend this book to parents of beginning readers (ages four to six) who enjoy simple stories about animals, fairies, and friends.

Belle and the Great Rescue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Beyond Paris
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Raccoons Stole My Baby Jesus by Jennifer Doll DVM

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Helpful fairies, curious puppies, and big red balls in a thorny bush! It does sound like a cute premise with fun elements, though you make an excellent point about the variation in inconsistent fairy size. Diminutive little creatures, usually, but maybe their magic dust knows no bounds, lol. Thank you for your honest impressions!

Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Sticks and stones by Ambrose Martin

Post by Ria710 »

It sounds like a lovely book for children. I like that the author kept the story simple for little kids to enjoy. Thank you for a great review.

MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Twelve Months of the Year in 850 Languages and Dialects
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Nettie boo by Judy Brown

Post by MsH2k »

This is the second book review I’ve seen lately that has mentioned inconsistent illustrations in children’s books. The pictures are such an important part of the story. Otherwise, this sounds like a very cute book. Great review!
"Choose your heroes wisely."
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)

JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

Pictures are a very important part of any children’s books! For most kids, it’s the most fun part of reading the book. You’re right, inconsistencies will most likely confuse them. Sounds like an interesting story though. Awesome, honest review. Well done!

kentatkinsonjr
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kentatkinsonjr »

I enjoyed reading this book to my niece. She paid attention. Cause I made it fun. Simple and fun . Tha ks

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Faithmwangi »

The fairy's inconsistency should certainly be looked into. Also, as much as the book was simple a little adventure could have added some excitement.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

lah_Mya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lah_Mya »

:D I very good book for younger kids ! heart details and has a great cover to catch people’s attention.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Capturing a pandemic - a middle schoolers perspective by Sriman Goli
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

A simple story about a dog and her favourite toy can never go wrong with kids, I think. The beauty is in the simplicity and there's a lot here that kids can jump on when beginning to read. The fairy's size might be a bit trickier to reckon with, but I do think it's still worth a shot. Thanks for your review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

Despite the flaws, this seems like such an adorable book for children. Even the cover made me smile. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Children's Books”