Official Review: Moving Day by Barbara Perry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Moving Day by Barbara Perry

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Moving Day" by Barbara Perry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Moving Day by Barbara Perry is a children’s book that follows the adventures of two raindrops named Willie and Arnold. They love possessing the capability to fall with the rain and evaporate repeatedly back up into the clouds. Illustrated by Autumn Brook, this 26-page tale features colorful background illustrations on every page. It serves to enhance the teaching of all of the different wintry parts of the water cycle.

When King Hugo of the Raindrops announces via royal decree that everyone will be moving, many are unsure about embracing new places, finding new friends, and attending a new school. But they soon discover their feelings of “relocation trepidation” are for naught, as they begin to meet snowflakes, icicles, wind, sleet, slush, fog, hail, and Jack Frost! They are dressed for success in their coordinating earmuffs, scarves, mittens, and backpacks.

From smiling snowmen and sled dogs, to ice-skating and the aurora borealis, endless adventures delight readers with every turn of the page. The font is easy to read, the tone is perpetually uplifting, and both genders are equally represented by the animated raindrop illustrations. A handy glossary appears at the end of the book that provides 2 pages worth of detailed descriptions that correspond to all of the weather-related terms that are shown throughout the story in bold. Even as an adult, I learned new terms like: “graupel” and discovered Inuit and Eskimo words like: “Nanuk, Qannik, Sesi, and Siku.” I did not encounter any grammatical or typographical errors, and there were no aspects of the storytelling that I disliked. Since I reviewed the paperback version, it is worth mentioning that it might have been nice to see printed page numbers.

I feel this book would be appropriate for children ages 4-8, as the target reading range of the material places its focus on students in grades K-3. This tale of transformation would make a great bedtime story, and adults of all ages could enjoy reading it to (and with) burgeoning meteorologists or any small child that loves science and umbrellas. For those who reside in warmer climates, this little picture book could even be a great introduction to colder climate phenomena, exposing curious kids to things like ice fishing, snow angels, and freezing rain.

I award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The utilized plot theme encourages young minds to embrace the “excitement of change” and face uncertainty with anticipatory optimism. So weather the storm of shifting winds and embrace the breezes of fluttery change with your little ones! After all, it takes a whole team to make a glacier (and a true, combined group effort to make an igloo).

Moving Day
View: on Bookshelves
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I had no idea the cute characters on the book cover were raindrops. How wonderful! This revelation brought a huge smile to the face of a certain reader who wanted to be a meteorologist when she was a kid. It sounds like there’s a lot to discover in this clever book. Great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

This book sounds like it would be fun to read even for an adult! You mentioned “weather words” I have never heard before either! The illustrations sound as if they bring it all to life where a child would feel excited to pretend to be in the story too. Wonderful review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

This sounds like such a cute story! I love the positive message about embracing change and the helpful glossary of new terms. Great job with this review!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a wonderful book. The cover of the book is adorable. Thank you for your honest review.
AvidBibliophile

MsH2k wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 00:50 I had no idea the cute characters on the book cover were raindrops. How wonderful! This revelation brought a huge smile to the face of a certain reader who wanted to be a meteorologist when she was a kid. It sounds like there’s a lot to discover in this clever book. Great review!
Aww, well that’s fabulous then! It was fun watching all these little droplets learn to coalesce and reconvene into different water shapes (and go ice skating) haha. They even used their art supplies to paint the aurora borealis! It was a clever premise of precipitation indeed.
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 03:14 This book sounds like it would be fun to read even for an adult! You mentioned “weather words” I have never heard before either! The illustrations sound as if they bring it all to life where a child would feel excited to pretend to be in the story too. Wonderful review!
Especially for kids who’ve never really experienced snow or sleet or sled dogs, and the illustrations were a picture perfect addition to the tale itself!
AvidBibliophile

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 09:25 This sounds like such a cute story! I love the positive message about embracing change and the helpful glossary of new terms. Great job with this review!
It truly did offer such an enthusiastic sort of approach to embracing change and finding the “happy” in new opportunities and surroundings. And the glossary was such a frosty cool bonus, lol! Thanks so much for your comment.
AvidBibliophile

Ria710 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 10:38 This sounds like a wonderful book. The cover of the book is adorable. Thank you for your honest review.
The animated enthusiasm of the characters on the cover instantly drew me in as well! Appreciate you coming by to read and comment.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

What a unique and interesting way to teach the different aspects of weather to children! The picture on the cover is adorable. Thanks for your well-written and informative review!
AvidBibliophile

Prisallen wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 08:31 What a unique and interesting way to teach the different aspects of weather to children! The picture on the cover is adorable. Thanks for your well-written and informative review!
Thanks, I’m glad you think so too! I was pleasantly surprised by the contents and couldn’t wait to see what these happy little droplets would get into next. Precipitation is cool, hehe
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Sounds like a really cute and charming book. The weather is important in our life so it's nice that there are books like that to teach children in a more fun way. Thanks for your review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

What an ingenious way of presenting whether-terms to children! These two raindrops seem to live quite an adventure. Adorable! And great job on the analysis. Thank you for the recommendation!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
AvidBibliophile

adamgreenrock wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 06:37 Sounds like a really cute and charming book. The weather is important in our life so it's nice that there are books like that to teach children in a more fun way. Thanks for your review!
Thanks for your comment! And I agree, this sort of approach to precipitation education likely has the power to charm all sorts of young minds in the process.
AvidBibliophile

InStoree wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 09:24 What an ingenious way of presenting whether-terms to children! These two raindrops seem to live quite an adventure. Adorable! And great job on the analysis. Thank you for the recommendation!
Right?! Who knew raindrops had such colorful daily adventures and travels - all while learning new skills along the way. Really appreciate your sweet feedback. Thank you!

Return to “Children's Books”