Official Review: The Tiger Like Me by Kelsey Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: No Second Chances by Christopher Sherrod

Official Review: The Tiger Like Me by Kelsey Lee

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tiger Like Me" by Kelsey Lee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abhi and her seven sisters couldn’t be more different; they live up to their mother’s expectations, while Abhi tends to march to the beat of her own drum. She says, “They each stand proper and tall, while I run wild and small.” Much to her mother’s dismay, she loves adventure and doesn’t mind getting dirty. One of the pictures shows Abhi holding two snakes with a joyful look on her face, while her mother looks horrified.

Abhi’s sisters seem to find pleasure in bullying her and convincing her to do dangerous things. One day, they tell her to go out into the jungle. “Don’t come out till we tell you, or you’re weak in the knees.” Of course, Abhi obliges, and her adventure begins. With not a care in the world, she ventures deep into the jungle where she meets a tiger and other creatures along the way.

The Tiger Like Me by Kelsey Lee is a children’s book that celebrates adventure and individuality. Abhi shows a tremendous amount of confidence for someone who is often the object of her siblings’ cruelty. Abhi is a likable protagonist who seems to have it all figured out. If she is ever afraid, she never shows it in the book as she proudly rises to all challenges.

I particularly adored the message the author was putting forth. Abhi encompassed a sense of courage and resilience, which is quite rare for someone her age. She seemed to be well-versed in dealing with adversity, and it didn’t hinder her search for happiness. When faced with something difficult, she remained hopeful. Abhi mused, “In the darkness of night, shoot for the moon. Always remember, the light returns soon.”

One thing that I found off-putting was the lack of conflict that Abhi experienced on her adventure. The jungle is home to many wild animals that have the potential to be very dangerous. The pictures show Abhi cuddling and petting a tiger, swinging with monkeys, and singing with the birds. The jungle is no place to throw caution to the wind; I think the author may have approached this situation too casually. I also found it odd that a few days seemed to pass, and no one came to look for Abhi; this seemed unrealistic.

The Tiger Like Me was beautifully illustrated with bright colors and friendly-looking characters, which made me smile. The book was error-free and professionally edited. I chose to give it a rating of three out of four stars. I deducted one star due to the shortcomings that I mentioned earlier.

Do you have a unique and fiercely independent child? If so, I would highly recommend The Tiger Like Me. Abhi is a lovable character who will resonate with like-minded youngsters!

The Tiger Like Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Kanda_theGreat
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I love the character that the author created in Abhi; she'll inspire other kids to be independent-minded in the undertakings.
Thanks for the review.
Bet on Me!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Kanda_theGreat wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 05:50
I love the character that the author created in Abhi; she'll inspire other kids to be independent-minded in the undertakings.
Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment!

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Decision They Made by Maria P Frino

Post by Michelle Fred »

I like that the book encourages individuality, but a child spending days in the jungle with wild animals and no care in the world sounds incredulous. I can't stop wondering how she fed and slept in the wild. Great review, as always.

Stephanie Elizabeth

Michelle Fred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 07:16
I like that the book encourages individuality, but a child spending days in the jungle with wild animals and no care in the world sounds incredulous. I can't stop wondering how she fed and slept in the wild. Great review, as always.
I wondered about the same thing! Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Untold Deception
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Spirit Sword by Sam Ford
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I think I'm going to love Abhi and her spirit of independence. As far as no one coming to look for here, I wouldn't put it past her abusive siblings to have 'covered' for her absence so that her parents didn't realize she was actually in the jungle. I agree that a bit more realism might have been added, but I think the author would have had a difficult time doing it and still maintaining Abhi's joyous and adventurous spirit. I loved reading your review! I think I'll be getting a copy of this one for my grandkids!!

Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for your honest review. It sounds like a cute, adventurous book for kids.

Stephanie Elizabeth

Kelyn wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:12
I think I'm going to love Abhi and her spirit of independence. As far as no one coming to look for here, I wouldn't put it past her abusive siblings to have 'covered' for her absence so that her parents didn't realize she was actually in the jungle. I agree that a bit more realism might have been added, but I think the author would have had a difficult time doing it and still maintaining Abhi's joyous and adventurous spirit. I loved reading your review! I think I'll be getting a copy of this one for my grandkids!!
That's an interesting point regarding realism potentially taking away from Abhi's fun-loving disposition. Thank you for your comment!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Ria710 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 19:03
Thank you for your honest review. It sounds like a cute, adventurous book for kids.
Thank you!

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Overbrook Farms by Neal Goldstein

Post by Cecilia_L »

She says, “They each stand proper and tall, while I run wild and small.”
I love this attitude! You make a great point about the lack of conflict. Thanks for another excellent review, Stephanie!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 11:24
She says, “They each stand proper and tall, while I run wild and small.”
I love this attitude! You make a great point about the lack of conflict. Thanks for another excellent review, Stephanie!
Thank you!

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Assassin's Case by Craig Alexander

Post by LinaMueller »

The Tiger Like Me seems to be a great book. A nice book for kids which will improve their imagination. I loved your review, Stephanie Elizabeth. Good job. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Sister by Virginia Barlow

Post by gen_g »

Perhaps the lack of conflict is due to the fact that it's a children's book? Still, having just a tad of it would help teach children that they have to be prepped for obstacles and that life is, unfortunately, not always smooth-sailing. Thanks for the review!

PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: Must Love Spankings by Tina Sumley

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

Genuinely a good read for the kids it seems like however I cannot say I would read it due to the lack of conflict in the book. I'm a sucker for a little conflict. You have a great review too

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

It is very important that children's books have a lesson to teach it's readers. This book highlights courage and resilience. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”