Official Review: Mister Hamster's Rescue

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Mister Hamster's Rescue

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mister Hamster's Rescue" by Stephanie Lee Allensworth.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mister Hamster’s Rescue by Stephanie Lee Allensworth is a short children’s book about a hamster who gets himself into a tricky situation. Ricky is the young boy who takes care of Mister Hamster. Although Ricky is usually a responsible young man, one day, he forgets to close the door of Mister Hamster’s cage after cleaning it. Mister Hamster takes the opportunity to explore the house but falls into a deep hole and can’t get out. Ricky and his family must find Mister Hamster and devise a way to rescue him, but the hero of this story might surprise you!

This is a fun, short children’s book with a simple story. I enjoyed the little surprise of who was able to find Mister Hamster, but this was the only surprising part of the story. Overall, the plot was very predictable, and the characters didn’t go through very much development.

I also didn’t feel that the characters were very relatable. The author has allowed the reader to see both sides of the story by jumping from the hamster leaving his cage to the family searching for him. I appreciated seeing both sides, but this technique resulted in me only getting a surface-level perspective on each side without any in-depth character or plot development. The characters were barely portrayed as having emotions, and I would have liked to get inside their heads to understand what they were feeling. I think this would have added more drama and excitement to the story since it didn’t include any humor or many surprises.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I thought the story and illustrations were cute, but the book lacked any real development of either the plot or characters. I appreciated that the book appeared to be professionally edited, as I didn’t find any errors, but I’d like to see the author add development, humor, or surprises to the book to improve it.

I would recommend this book to parents of children ages four to seven. The vocabulary is fairly simple, as is the story, so I don’t think older children would be interested in this book.

Mister Hamster's Rescue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

:eusa-think: when the characters have no personally it makes the book boring. nice review.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I think this book was targeted to really young children which is why it was simple. But I agree that the author should have more character development to make the book interesting.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Relatability is an important feature of a good children's book. It is clear that this book falls short. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Children's Books”