Official Review: Melissa Moo Moo's Special Lesson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Official Review: Melissa Moo Moo's Special Lesson

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Melissa Moo Moo's Special Lesson" by Julie Lomax.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Melissa Moo-Moo’s Special Lesson is a children’s book by Julie Lomax. Moo-Moo is a young cow who overhears some of the other cows talking about her and takes a series of actions which lead to unique consequences.

The other cows wonder why Farmer Jack keeps Moo-Moo when she doesn’t produce much milk. Fearful that she will be sold, Moo-Moo hides when the other cows are led out to pasture. She finds a berry bush and eats the berries. The berries cause her to produce pink milk that tastes like berries. Farmer Jack is excited about this, which makes Moo-Moo happy. However, the other cows discover Moo-Moo’s secret and eat up all the berries, leaving Moo-Moo to find other ways to prove that she is worthy.

I really enjoyed this story. It is simple and filled with colorful pictures. It would be a nice book to read to children and would be an appropriate learning tool for kids who are learning to read. It has a positive message about realizing that you are worthy regardless of possessing any outstanding talent. There is a secondary message of realizing that there are always going to be mean-spirited individuals who enjoy gossiping about others. We can’t control the behavior of these kinds of individuals but conforming to please them or show them up is not the answer.

I give Melissa Moo-Moo’s Special Lesson four out of four stars. There was nothing that I disliked about this story. I believe that the book was professionally edited. There were a couple of minor errors in the text involving a wrong word choice. The author used “sale” instead of “sell,” i.e. ““You’re going to have to sale those cows, because you can’t sell these items.” Other than that, the story was clear and well-written.

Melissa Moo-Moo’s Special Lesson is a great teaching tool for young children. It teaches kids the lesson that sometimes others are going to say bad things about us regardless of how nice or talented we are. Trying to prove ourselves to our bullies is not the answer, and neither is following the crowd. It also gives parents and educators the chance to impart to children that talking badly about others is wrong and everyone is special in their own way.

I would recommend this book for parents of young children and for early childhood educators. The book is appropriate for children of all ages.

Melissa Moo Moo's Special Lesson
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Faithmwangi »

I read the title and looked back at the cover. I was sure those were cows and glad I was right. I find Moo moo to be a survivor who doesn't let her circumstance put her down. Children are bound to enjoy this read.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Interesting story about Moo moo. The colorful illustrations make this book more relatable to children. Great review.

Jessi_Job2820
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jessi_Job2820 »

This is very interesting because it talks about how you may feel different sometimes and left out but most of the time the people who are included in everything want to be like you. This is a great book that I would recommend for everyone!

Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

The name of this book sounds good . I will try and add it to my collection for this year .

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Rogue Genes by Jardine Henry Hart
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh no. That kind of bullying is one of the worst, so I'm glad there's a story that deals with that. I'm sure kids will be able to relate to Moo Moo in some way because though they're adorable, children can be just as cruel as the cows in this book. I think it would be a great help to find someone to relate to in such a situation.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

What a wonderful storyline! I love books that are written for smaller children that teach lessons like this one. I will certainly be sure that my grand doll is listening to this story multiple times.

Return to “Children's Books”