Official Review: The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Four Kittens in the Bathroom by DL Sevic

Official Review: The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing ...

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing - The Brave and Kindhearted" by Rio N. Cortez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing the Brave and Kindhearted by Rio N. Cortez is a fun children’s book about the mythical Dwendi, Folotjing. He’s a clever creature who lives in the forest. Although some of the other animals try to pick on little Folotjing, he shows that kindness is the best way to get out of trouble and make a new friend at the same time.

This story is both adorable and original, which makes it a refreshing change from other children’s books. The author has created a fun, likeable protagonist but doesn’t spend too much time trying to describe him or introduce him to the reader. Instead, he allows Folotjing’s actions to speak for him, and the reader comes to know him through his kindness and willingness to help others. The charm of this book is only increased by the illustrations included, which look like line drawings from older children’s books and evoked a sense of nostalgia when I saw them.

Although I really enjoyed seeing the drawings, I wish that they had been arranged differently in the book. Generally, a page of text would alternate with a page of illustrations, and the illustration for a scene would often come before the text describing that scene. I would have preferred for the story to come first or at least to be included on the same page as the picture showing that story playing out.

Another issue I found with the book involves the rhyming lines. Although I didn’t find any mistakes in the writing, the rhyme and rhythm of the lines often felt forced, and I think it could be difficult to read this book out loud to a child.

Based on the considerations above, I chose to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the cute, original character of Folotjing, but some rhyming lines detracted from his fun instead of adding to it. I would recommend this book to parents of children ages four to eight, although younger children will need help with some difficult words, not least of which is the protagonist’s name.

The Magnificent Adventures of Folotjing - The Brave and Kindhearted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

aacodreanu
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

An excellent review. I fell in love with the character just by reading it. The only "complaint" is about his name, difficult to pronounce and even more to remember.
Also, I agree that rhymes should be perfect otherwise the effect is contrary to that intended.

Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light (Tales Of Mister Pushkin Book 1) by AC Michael

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for a wonderful review. The cover of this book is adorable. I also agree that the main characters name is going to be difficult to pronounce by kids.

Return to “Children's Books”