Official Review: Millvy's Missing Tail

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Be Sincere Even When You Don't Mean It by Jim Flynn

Official Review: Millvy's Missing Tail

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Millvy's Missing Tail" by Eleanor Kit (pen name).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you do when you’ve lost something very dear to you? Do you seat back and let go? Or do you make moves to recover it? Millvy, the silver cat with a bushy tail, was in this dilemma when he realized his tail was missing. The worst part was that he couldn’t place where or how his tail got missing. It was his silvereye bird friend, Milo, that alerted him to the missing tail. Millvy asked Milo to join him in a search that would make them pass through a myriad of obstacles. Milo rallied round four other silvereye birds to join the search party. They had no idea what awaited them in their search for Milvy’s missing tail.

The beauty of children’s books lies in their colorful presentation. This shows both in writing and illustration. Millvy's Missing Tail by Eleanor Kit ticked this box. The writing was sweet and interesting to follow. The author opted to write in the present continuous tense. And, she did well to make the tense consistent all through the short narrative. I must also commend Lizette Duvenage for the colorful illustration. It added life to this short story.

What I liked most about this book was the way Eleanor introduced the characters of this book. They didn’t show up out of the blues. She created a seamless entry and exit for the characters. The role of each character was significant and connected to the plot of the book.

I did have a couple of things that didn’t sit well with me. First, I noticed inconsistencies in the illustration. There were times some characters showed up in the illustration with no mention of them in the adjoining text. For instance, the red scorpion I saw on page 21 was neither mentioned in the text nor had a role in the plot. There were also irregularities in the size of objects in comparison to others. At some point, the birds were big, at other times they were too small when compared to the cat’s size. This was an issue for me because illustrations go a long way to paint a picture of a story in the minds of children. These sorts of lapses create confusion and distraction for readers. I already commended the colorful illustration. But, I wished the illustrator avoided these kinds of errors.

I also did not like the abrupt ending of the book. I understand the need to leave a cliffhanger to create anticipation for the next installment. But, the way it came in this book was a little over the top. It left me high and dry as there wasn’t a conclusive ending to this story. I expected the author to be a little more creative with the ending.

There were no grammatical or typographic errors in this book. The author and editor did a great job with the text. But, I rate this book three out of four stars due to the concerns I raised earlier. I recommend this book to children of reading age, parents, and children teachers.

Millvy's Missing Tail
View: on Bookshelves

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Millvy and Milo’s adventures, a myriad of obstacles awaits!!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Two Once Removed by Jeffrey Curry

Post by MsH2k »

This is great idea for a story. I can’t imagine how Millvy managed to miss how he lost his bushy tail! Thank you for your review.

blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by blessing_bona »

I imagine Millvy's alarm when his bird friend announces his missing tail. From this review, I believe this book has a lot of life lessons for children. One of them is that friends should look out for each other.
Great review.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Prisallen »

A story of a cat looking for his missing tale sounds like a fun book for children. It's too bad about the problems with the pictures and the abrupt ending. Hopefully, these things can be fixed by the author. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light (Tales Of Mister Pushkin Book 1) by AC Michael

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a wonderful book for children to read. I agree that the illustrations in a book play an important part when children are reading it. Thank you for your review.

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: Nadeems journey by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Dannyphery »

Nice review u got here with the observations. Sounds like an interesting book regardless of the little glitch.
Well done on the review

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

The story sounds interesting and captivating for kids notwithstanding the reservations you had with the illustrations used by the author. Great review though.

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Such books with abrupt endings don't usually appeal to me. However, I am curious to know why Millvy's tail got missing and if he eventually found it.

Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I just added this to my I want to read bookshelf. I may try to download it this weekend and read it to my grand doll next week while she is visiting. She loves cats and so this story would be of interest to her.

En+kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by En+kay »

A cat and a bird storyline for kids seems interesting as they both go on adventure looking for missing cat bushy tail which curiously the cat was not aware of its absence. Not to worry, kids won't really mind the errors in the illustrations

Sam Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sam Ibeh »

What's a cat without a tail? Beyond that, I kind of like the friendship Millvy built with Milo. It must be strong enough to make him rally other bird friends to help Millvy.

Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

The colorful pictures are sure to attract the attention of children. Great review.

JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JoyALB »

Oh my! How did Milvy lose his tail I wonder?! It sounds like a very cute story that kids are sure to enjoy. Awesome review!

smithmary01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by smithmary01 »

What's a cat without a tail? And The colorful pictures are sure to attract the attention of children. It's a very good review.

Return to “Children's Books”