Official Review: Bedlam in Grandma Green’s Garden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Weeping Willow's Wish by Brenda Elzin

Official Review: Bedlam in Grandma Green’s Garden

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bedlam in Grandma Green’s Garden" by Kim Richman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bedlam in Grandma Green’s Garden is a delightful children's picture book by Kim Richman. When Grandma Green heads outdoors to her garden, she discovers yellow dandelions growing everywhere. The pesky weeds seem to have sprouted overnight and are crowding her garden. As she gathers strawberries, she hears an unknown voice and realizes that one of the dandelions is speaking to her. It wants to be picked, and Grandma is perplexed. She bakes pies with strawberries, and makes salads with garden vegetables, but what on earth can she do with dandelions?

The picture book is professionally edited and beautifully illustrated. It will amuse young readers while it teaches them the value of the dandelion and introduces the concept of sustainability through gardening. Richman includes a dandelion cookie recipe and lists beneficial qualities of the dandelion that will further engage and teach readers. For instance, I have heard of adding dandelion greens to salads, but I was unaware that they have "saved people from starvation," as the roots, leaves, and flowers are all edible.

Hands down, the colorful dandelion illustrations are my favorite feature of this short picture book; they exude personality and bring the dandelion's character to life. The bright yellow flower is in tears as it reasons with Grandma Green. As a garden enthusiast, I can attest to the fact that the resilient weeds do appear to grow overnight, and like Grandma, I have been guilty of viewing them as pests. However, this amusing story will cause readers of all ages to rethink their views on the weed that most children already consider a bouquet-worthy flower.

There isn't anything I dislike about the book, but I have a suggestion for improvement. The book is quite short, and young readers would enjoy seeing additional illustrations of Grandma Green making the cookies, which would also add a few pages to the book's overall length.

For its entertaining story, delightful illustrations, and teaching value, I am pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young readers through the age of 10 and to parents, grandparents, and teachers.

Bedlam in Grandma Green’s Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Head Waggling in Delhi
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Norah by Cynthia Argil

Post by Laura Lee »

I love well-written, beautifully illustrated children's books. This sounds like a fun premise for a children's story. Thanks for your well-written review! I always enjoy your reviews.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Latest Review: Norah by Cynthia Argil

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thank you, Laura!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Dream Prophecy by Known as Lise

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love this. Not many know the positive properties of the dandelion or what you can do with it. It seems like a cute book. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 20:46
Wow! I love this. Not many know the positive properties of the dandelion or what you can do with it. It seems like a cute book. Thanks!
It really is a cute story. Thanks for your comment.

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

I love that this book teaches appreciation for the unappreciated.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amy747 wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 23:58
I love that this book teaches appreciation for the unappreciated.
That is a great point. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Children's Books”