Official Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: Iced in Paradise
Bookshelf Size: 363
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Official Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward

Post by bookowlie » 13 Jan 2020, 15:13

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dynomike: Pay It Forward" by Frankie B. Rabbit.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit is an illustrated children’s book that focuses on the importance of helping others, without expecting anything in return. It is the latest installment in the Dynomike series about a dinosaur and his various animal friends. While on his way home, Dynomike helps his friend Spunky stop a banana cart from sliding downhill. When Spunky asks how he can repay the young dinosaur, Dynomike tells him to “pay it forward” and help someone else. This sets off a ripple effect among the various animal characters in the story.

I enjoyed this heartwarming book that highlights the concept of paying it forward in an entertaining way. It’s never too early to teach kids the importance of helping others while expecting nothing in return. Instead, you can repay someone’s kindness by helping another person in the near future.

There is a smooth flow to the storyline, with creative links between each part of the plot. For instance, after the banana cart incident, Spunky encounters a cat scrounging for food in a dumpster. Any guesses how Spunky might pay Dynomike’s assistance forward?

The story is told in rhyme and contains an ABCB rhyme scheme; basically, the second and fourth lines rhyme in each four-line stanza. The simple word choices would be easy for young children to understand. There are two exceptions - “hangry” (a slang word for “hungry”) and “schnarf” (a made-up word). I don’t think slang or made-up words are appropriate in books for the younger set, since children would get confused.

The illustrations are colorful and convey a fun, light-hearted feel to the story. There are good visual clues on each page, which also reinforce the meaning of the “pay it forward” phrase. I particularly appreciated that the characters’ facial expressions tied in well with each action. However, it’s not clear what type of animal a few of the characters are. In addition, the cat doesn’t have a proper name and is addressed only as “new friend.”

I would like to applaud the author for an excellent editing job. There are no spelling or grammatical errors, and the book is formatted well. I must say it is refreshing to read an error-free indie book.

This book has earned 3 out of 4 stars. It contains a nice blend of elements for a good children’s story – a clear plot, a relatable theme, likable characters, and appealing artwork. If not for the slang words and vague characterization in a few cases, the book would merit the highest rating. I would recommend it for children ages 3-8, due to the short sentences, simplistic plot, and basic word choices. Kids who like books featuring animal characters would surely enjoy this one. The book is a perfect choice for parents or teachers to read aloud, as it could spur a discussion about ways to help others and pay a kindness forward. This is the second book I've read about this cute dinosaur, and I highly recommend this series.

Dynomike: Pay It Forward
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Broken Things
Currently Reading: The Happy Place
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 14 Jan 2020, 04:40

I'd like to think that paying it forward is still a new concept. I've only heard of it maybe within the past five years. It's great to be teaching children this. You never know who's day you'll make better by paying it forward. Great review! I would certainly read this to my children.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie » 14 Jan 2020, 10:01

Letora wrote: ↑
14 Jan 2020, 04:40
I'd like to think that paying it forward is still a new concept. I've only heard of it maybe within the past five years. It's great to be teaching children this. You never know who's day you'll make better by paying it forward. Great review! I would certainly read this to my children.
Thanks Letora! I think children aren't very aware of the paying it forward concept, so it's nice to see a book with this theme.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Songs from Ugly by Heather Ricks

Post by gen_g » 14 Jan 2020, 10:57

I agree with your point about not including slang in children's books, but otherwise, it seems like the book won on all counts by not only being fun, but also learning more about a good value! Thanks for the lovely review, bookowlie!

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie » 14 Jan 2020, 11:05

gen_g wrote: ↑
14 Jan 2020, 10:57
I agree with your point about not including slang in children's books, but otherwise, it seems like the book won on all counts by not only being fun, but also learning more about a good value! Thanks for the lovely review, bookowlie!
Thanks Gen_g! I really wanted to give this book 4 stars for the entertaining and educational aspects. Still, I couldn't overlook the slang/made-up words. Also, I found it so distracting trying, and failing, to figure out what type of animal a few of the characters were! If I couldn't figure it out, I am sure a child wouldn't be able to. I can't tell you how many times I went back to those pages to try to figure it out.

FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by FEislandqueen13 » 14 Jan 2020, 13:01

my kid brother would love this book. It has animals. Plus he'll learn a valuable lesson while having fun! :)

kandscreeley
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Price of the Passion by Sabrina A. Graves

Post by kandscreeley » 14 Jan 2020, 20:07

I think it's great for a children's book to tackle the theme of paying it forward. Dynomike sounds like a cute, fun character. I agree about the slang, though. I think there could have easily been other words used in place of those. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie » 16 Jan 2020, 08:37

Thanks Kandscreeley and FEislandqueen13 for the nice feedback! I think kids would want to read more books in the series because Dynomike is such a likable character. Kandscreeley - I agree the author could have found substitutes for the slang words, without too much effort.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 590
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of the Happy Schnauzer Klaus by Terry E Gunn
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 16 Jan 2020, 09:06

Paying it forward is a wonderful lesson to teach children in this "What's in it for me?" world. Let's start them young!

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Getting Through What You Can't Get Over by Anita Agers-Brooks
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 16 Jan 2020, 09:27

You're never too young to learn the importance of paying it forward! The characters and situations in this one are sure to be a hit with the target age range.

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Dangerous Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Murder City by Dan Martin

Post by AvidBibliophile » 16 Jan 2020, 20:21

I hope this one truly can spur discussions amongst developing young minds! The cover art is darling and it seems that dinosaurs will always remain steadfast in popularity with the youngsters as they develop a love for literary storytelling. Great review!

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: A Religion Called Love by David Trock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 17 Jan 2020, 16:53

I love that the book includes the message of paying it forward. Hopefully your insightful review will give the author the feedback he needs to further improve the execution.

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Julius_ » 19 Jan 2020, 03:44

An amazing book about dinosaurs and other animals, adequately reviewed! This was amazing! Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by Magnify3 » 21 Jan 2020, 08:17

Paying forward is an important lesson to teach children. I like the book cover as well. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”