Official Review: Dr.Crystal’s Santa’s Socks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Santa's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Official Review: Dr.Crystal’s Santa’s Socks

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dr.Crystal’s Santa’s Socks" by Crystal Williamson.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Santa’s Socks have been tossed unceremoniously into the trash for being BOW (“a bit old and worn”). Their initial heartbreak turns into determination as they decide that, in order to be with Santa once more, they need to find the color red to restore them to their original colors. On their journey, they talk to Santa’s Suit, Candy Cane, and Christmas Tree, among others. Will they restore themselves to their former glory? Will they be reunited with Santa? Will Mrs. Claus accept them?

Dr. Crystal Williamson’s children’s book, Dr. Crystal’s Santa’s Socks: Do The BOW Thing, aims to teach the reader to be accepting of others, regardless of their age or the color of their skin. While the message is a good one, I think the delivery could have been a little better.

One of the characters is said to have learned this important message; however, they never say anything that suggests they’ve actually learned it. We’re just merely told by someone else that they did, while the character smiles and gives a thumbs up in the background. I think it would have been more meaningful if the reformed character had a chance to speak after they realized the error of their ways. At the least, I think there should have been an apology.

I like that the book explains how someone feels when they've been discarded. It shows BOW going to extreme lengths to try and be what others want them to be so that they will be accepted and loved. Children who have been in a situation where they've felt discarded would easily empathize with BOW. Ideally, children who have excluded others might be able to learn something as well.

The cartoonish illustrations by Denis Proulx are cute and vibrant. Each page features a full-page illustration with text on top of it. Unfortunately, I had a lot of difficulty getting through the book due to its uneven rhythm, forced rhymes, grammar errors, and inconsistencies.

I had quite a few issues with the rhymes. The rhyming scheme could change from one page to the next, sometimes even on the same page. For example, on pg. 18 the rhyming scheme is ABCAA DEFGE. A uniform rhyming scheme would have been so much better for the rhythm and flow. These abrupt changes coupled with several missing line breaks makes it difficult to comprehend the writing on the first read. On some pages, such as page 24, line breaks aren’t used at all.

This 48-page book needs a heavy round of editing. In addition to the missing line breaks, there are absolutely no quotation marks used. There’s quite a bit of dialogue, and more often than not, the speaker will abruptly change without any kind of indication. Finally, there’s a lack of consistency when it comes to whether or not BOW is one character or two. “We have a worry on our head. And do you think you can help me please?”

Overall, I have to give this book 1 out of 4 stars. As it is, I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone. After extensive editing, I would recommend it to 3- to 7-year-old children, especially those who have dealt with prejudice or being excluded. I’d also recommend it to parents who want to teach their children about empathy and acceptance.

Dr.Crystal’s Santa’s Socks
View: on Bookshelves

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Children are such visual learners. If it wasn't apparent to you that a lesson was learned, the kids won't pick up on it either. I wouldn't read this to my kids because I would be afraid they would learn not so good writing and reading habits. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

The author had a creative idea that wasn't delivered very well. You offered some concise and insightful suggestions for improving the book. Great review!

Amy747
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

Sounds like a great concept but its a shame that there were so many other issues that let the story down.

Return to “Children's Books”