Official Review: Journey to Twilight by Charmayne Hafen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Journey to Twilight by Charmayne Hafen

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journey to Twilight" by Charmayne Hafen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Journey to Twilight by Charmayne Hafen is a fictional story about a mythical world. The story revolves around a girl named Lorna, as well as a boy named Sam. The author focuses on the effects a mysterious world has on them, describing their conflicts and challenges. The author writes in a direct, informal style, as she wants to create a friendly tone and engage the reader in the story.

The story begins when Lorna, a girl from California, moves to Arizona with her mother. There, she meets another young boy, named Sam, who is an excellent bike racer. Lorna decides to participate in a bike race he creates, however, in the middle of the race she is raptured to an unknown place called the Land of Twilight. There, she meets a leprechaun named Trix, who claims that she can have any wish if she brings back three items to the Land of Twilight. Will Lorna bring these three items? What will she wish for? What role will Sam play in her life?

There were many positive attributes in this story. More specifically, the author uses linguistic devices and narrative techniques that create suspense, tension, and drama in the text, thereby grasping the reader’s attention. Moreover, the author follows a logical, clear, and coherent structure, as the story follows a chronological order, allowing the reader to easily understand the events unfolding in the novel. Additionally, I liked the fact that the book was professionally edited, as I noticed only a single error in the entire novel. Furthermore, what I liked most in this book was the fact that the author added illustrations in her book, creating a vivid and lively tone in the text, as well helping the reader understand the meaning of the story more clearly.

The characteristic I disliked most in this book was that it was cliché, unoriginal, and unrealistic. This is because I noticed that the novel was very similar to other fictional novels that explore mythical worlds.

This book is best suited for young readers interested in books related to mythical worlds. The book is more suited for young readers, as the main characters in this book are young children.

Selectively, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. The reason I did not give this book a perfect rating was that it lacked originality and creativity in some parts. However, it was overall a beautiful novel, as it was expertly written, professionally edited, and beautifully illustrated.

Journey to Twilight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I avoid books with cliches like the plaque, especially those from the Fantasy/YA genres. So, I'll have to pass on this one. I'm glad the book ticks many other boxes though. Thanks for the insightful review!
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

Even if there are cliches, I usually still enjoy books like this. It sounds like a very whimsical story. Thank you for the honest review!
isabelle rehart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by isabelle rehart »

sound like a story they would peak my interest. the mystical aspect makes up for it being cliches.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for the review. It sounds like a very interesting book. Definitely for younger readers.

Return to “Children's Books”