Review by Nerea -- The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever felt insecure when a stranger came at your doorstep seeking refuge? Or what would you do if you are left alone in the cold by your family?

Blue is a dog abandoned by his human family due to some unavoidable circumstances. He wonders around in search of refuge. And just like manna dropped from heaven, Blue sees a small farmhouse and a barn. What does he do? He sneaks through the fence to find his way into the farmhouse. Finally, he is in the farmhouse compound and sees food. His next step is to go towards the food and help himself. Unfortunately, one member of the Barnyard buddies shows up and tries to stop blue from eating the food. In the middle of the confrontation, other members of the Barnyard Buddies gathered at the scene. What happens next?

Narrated from the author’s point of view, The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn will appeal to children between age 6 and 12 years. They will learn about decision-making, showing empathy and being hospitable to anyone seeking refuge. The tone of the writing is friendly and warm. The dialogue between the characters makes the story sound lively and appealing.

Sometimes the newcomer seeking refuge from you can be helpful like how Blue turned out to be helpful to the Barnyard buddies and Jim. Jim (human) is the owner of the farmhouse. He is not sure if he can accommodate Blue. Notice what he decides to do. The Barnyard Buddies are animals cared for by Jim. They seem empathetic and cautious too. The way they treat Blue is noteworthy.

The author used simple short sentences to narrate the story. I find this feature noteworthy for the fact that it will enable children to read the story without tiring out. Additionally, the use of color codes to contrast the conversation between the characters is remarkable. The colorful illustrations will appeal to children.

I like that the text font style and size are visible and attractive too. There are sections where there is a change of text color from black to white, especially in pages where the background color is not bright. Remarkably, an exercise has been provided for parents to help their children to practice what they have learned. Noteworthy, definitions of hard words and terms used in the story are available at the end of the book.

I award the book a 4 out of 4 stars for the fact that the author is using her writing skills to teach children valuable moral lessons. Additionally, I didn’t detect any grammatical error. Ultimately, there’s nothing to dislike. Though, I recommend that the author help future readers to identify the reason why Blue’s human family abandoned him.

The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like a very cute book for children! I'd love to read it to my nieces.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a fun story for kids. I like the idea of color-coding the dialogue. Great review!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Rayasaurus wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 14:07 This sounds like a very cute book for children! I'd love to read it to my nieces.
Yeah. I'm sure they'll enjoy reading the book. Thanks.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

unamilagra wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 23:17 This sounds like a fun story for kids. I like the idea of color-coding the dialogue. Great review!
True. Color-coding makes it easy for the reader to follow through the conversation with ease. Thanks for coming through.
No Wahala

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”