Official Review: When the Day Ends and Dreams Begin 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Cyber Abuse by James M. Kauffman

Official Review: When the Day Ends and Dreams Begin 2

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When the Day Ends and Dreams Begin 2" by Don Rose & Javier Lopez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the Day Ends and Dreams Begin 2 by Don Rose and Javier Lopez is a fun children’s book. The authors include short stories and poems on a variety of topics relevant to kids, like growing up, anxiety, and family. They have also written more fantastical tales, like one about visiting Mars and another about meeting a mermaid.

First, I feel compelled to mention the illustrations in this book. I see many children’s books in which illustrations are done carelessly and unprofessionally. This book is quite the opposite. Rayanne Vieira deserves to be commended on her adorable, diverse cartoons that fill the pages of this storybook. Despite the fact that I wouldn’t call this a picture book, the illustrations add an extra element to the story, bringing characters to life and showing that protagonists of all races, genders, and abilities can be the heroes of their own stories.

I would also like to praise the authors for their clear understanding of what kids like. The stories in the book are short, fun, and appeal to children’s sense of whimsy. The poems’ rhymes are effective and would be fun to read out loud, and there are enough pages to read one story or poem every night and not be finished with the book for over a month. I liked that the characters in the first story show up again later in the book, but you don’t have to read the stories in order or together to enjoy each one.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, I found more than ten grammatical errors, leading me to believe it was not professionally edited. However, the illustrations and writing ability show that the authors and illustrators have worked hard to create a book that children are sure to enjoy, leading me to give them three stars.

This book would appeal to children ages four to ten, especially those who enjoy short stories and poetry. Parents looking for something quick to read each night before bed are sure to enjoy this book full of whimsy and fun.

When the Day Ends and Dreams Begin 2
View: on Bookshelves

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Finderworld by Doreen Kellett

Post by kandscreeley »

I think children's books should be even more carefully edited, so it's too bad this has errors. I like that the illustrations are so professional and the stories are fun! Seems great for kids. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Open Door by Gary Luitjens
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading »

Judging by the cover alone, it's clear that the book's illustrations are top class. Too bad the editing fell short. I hope the writers will make the necessary changes with your critiques in mind. Great review, thanks!
“Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.”
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

LiLeaBrand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by LiLeaBrand »

Hmmm, it’s a shame about the grammatical errors. The book however, sounds amazing! I would love something like this for my daughter. Thank you for the comprehensive review.

Amy747
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by Amy747 »

This book sounds like it has a great variety of stories to enjoy.

Return to “Children's Books”