Official Review: Gnarlys of the North Woods

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Gnarlys of the North Woods

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gnarlys of the North Woods" by Mary Cuffe Perez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Mary Cuffe Perez has taken her love for nature and put that into her children's book, Gnarlys of the North Woods. The narrator, known as a Trom, invites the reader into his home, which is a hollowed-out tree. He explains the differences between the Gnomes and the Gnarlys, which has resulted in a long-standing forest feud between the two species. While Gnomes are very orderly, invest a lot of time studying their surroundings, and are hard workers, Gnarlys are the exact opposite. They go out of their way to make life miserable for others, nap often, and are extremely lazy.

Because both groups dwell in the same territory, they have distinct lines drawn that the other should never invade. However, it brings a Gnarly great joy to provoke a Gnome to anger to get a reaction. It's somewhat of a cat and mouse game as a Gnarly's most considerable skill is mimicking the sounds of other animals to mislead and disrupt the peace. I won't give away any spoilers, but the Gnomes fall for a big Gnarly hoax, which becomes the focal point of the plot.

There wasn't a single thing I didn't like. The author's humorous tone was highly engaging, and I enjoyed her creative expressions. For example, the Gnarlys have an affinity for 'gobble'. This substance is chewed up gum that has been left behind by humans and is considered a delicacy. I could easily visualize minuscule creatures sampling this off the ground as this writer's words are so vivid and detailed. While it had a silly overtone, it also raises awareness about littering and being careful about keeping the environment clean.

The schemes and plans of these critters are executed without any foresight about what consequences could happen. Their behavior makes one want to keep on reading to see what kind of trouble is coming next. In many cases, what could have turned out disastrous takes a sudden funny turn that saves the day. I think this will keep youngsters glued to the pages and giggling as they try to guess what the outcome will be.

I did not find any errors while reading this, so it seems to have been professionally edited. Along with the impeccable writing, there are black and white pencil illustrations to support this tale that makes the entire package more attractive and charmingly old fashioned.

With great pleasure, I award this 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to children who have mastered reading simple chapter books. For those who cannot read independently, this would make an excellent story for adults to read out loud to younger elementary school-aged children.

Gnarlys of the North Woods
View: on Bookshelves
Everything happens for a reason...
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

It is quite clever how the author came up with the term 'gobble.' By any chance is this the same gum that comes out of trees? Anyway I really enjoyed reading your review. It's simple and straightforward.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Wamakima wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 09:05 It is quite clever how the author came up with the term 'gobble.' By any chance is this the same gum that comes out of trees? Anyway I really enjoyed reading your review. It's simple and straightforward.
No, this is the gum that gets spit out and left behind by humans. I still am thinking about the cute characters in this one. It's good to read a book designed for kids from time to time to laugh a little and not take life so seriously. Thanks for reading my review! I appreciate it! :)
Everything happens for a reason...
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really enjoy children's books, and this one sounds creative, clever, and it just plain fun! Thanks for the recommendation.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author's inclusion of humor makes this a delightful read for the target audience. I think that those who read this book aloud to children will enjoy it as much as those who are listening! Thanks for the charming recommendation.
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

My little one would like this book. My little one loves animals! Thank you for the recommendation.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a unique and interesting story. I’m sure little kids would love reading this. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Children's Books”