Official Review: Commissioner of Garbage by Cathy Hodsdon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 108
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading: Helix
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Becoming An Oracle Proof God Has A Sense Of Humor by God's Oracle
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Commissioner of Garbage by Cathy Hodsdon

Post by cpru68 » 15 Nov 2019, 17:07

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Commissioner of Garbage" by Cathy Hodsdon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In her children's book, Commissioner of Garbage: There's a Storm Coming, author Cathy Hodsdon takes her young readers to a town in Idaho where an emergency is underway. A blizzard is expected for the area, and it's up to Commissioner Roy to make sure that all of the refuse is collected before the snow creates impassable road conditions. As the story begins, he and his office assistant answer a barrage of phone calls and begin to execute a strategy to get the job accomplished.

What I admire about this tale is that it demonstrates the importance of services that many of us take for granted. I live in a climate that experiences winter storms quite frequently, and the lack of garbage removal can be somewhat troublesome. I liked that this topic is presented to get children thinking about how those who serve our communities are important. This may foster career choices or plant the idea of recycling and taking care of the environment.

Also, the illustrations are wonderfully done, depicting blowing winds and ominous clouds. Small details are included, such as garbage lying on the ground is picked up and put into proper receptacles by the end of the book. This adds a nice touch of closure and a sense of accomplishment.

With its great message, however, some issues need to be addressed. Throughout the entire story, past and present tenses are mixed. Along with this, the first word in almost every dialogue is not capitalized correctly. For example, during an initial conversation, this sentence is written this way: Roy told Jasmine, "tell everyone who calls, the trucks are on their way!" The word 'tell' should be capitalized, and only one or two sentences throughout the book are done correctly.

With these areas needing some more editing work, I am awarding this 3 out of 4 stars. The changes to the material should be quite simple to accomplish, and the positive plot does warrant it a perfect score, but the mistakes forced me to reduce it by one star. I would recommend this to adults who enjoy reading to preschoolers, and this could be read independently by children who are in early elementary grades. However, I would like to see this author make the necessary amendments so that no mistakes remain.

Commissioner of Garbage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Gathoni1991 » 16 Nov 2019, 14:19

The book is an eyeopener for kids. It also makes them be aware of their surroundings, which is a good thing

cpru68
Latest Review: Becoming An Oracle Proof God Has A Sense Of Humor by God's Oracle

Post by cpru68 » 16 Nov 2019, 15:35

Gathoni1991 wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 14:19
The book is an eyeopener for kids. It also makes them be aware of their surroundings, which is a good thing
Absolutely! Thanks for reading my review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 16 Nov 2019, 16:57

This sounds like a great, educational read for children. Experiences like that are often overlooked as well as the people that are in charge of keeping everyone safe. It is a shame about some of the execution though... thanks for this excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Crystal Mesh by Alicia Mundy with Jennifer Banmiller

Post by kandscreeley » 16 Nov 2019, 18:53

I believe children's books need to be even more carefully edited than adult books. Having said that, I love the thought of this book. I hope it does help children think about their choices, both for careers and how they take care of the planet. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 20 Nov 2019, 14:01

kandscreeley wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 18:53
I believe children's books need to be even more carefully edited than adult books. Having said that, I love the thought of this book. I hope it does help children think about their choices, both for careers and how they take care of the planet. Thanks.
I totally agree with you! I did test market the book after I submitted my review. A 4 year old boy absolutely loved the story and had me read it twice! So the author is on to a good idea! Thanks for stopping by! :)

Wamakima
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Currently Reading: Cooperative Lives
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Wamakima » 22 Nov 2019, 09:45

Our climate is deteriorating and even though I do not come from an area that experiences winter, it's clear something new to be done. Every child should have a copy of this book, after a fresh round of editing of course.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 22 Nov 2019, 17:13

Meg98 wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 16:57
This sounds like a great, educational read for children. Experiences like that are often overlooked as well as the people that are in charge of keeping everyone safe. It is a shame about some of the execution though... thanks for this excellent review!
Thank you for reading my review; I appreciate it! Children's book aren't just for kids, I tell you. This one really got me thinking about the services that I just expect. I am hoping the author fixes the mistakes to make it even better! :)

Return to “Children's Books”