Official Review: Sally Gets a Curly Horse by Ron Gale

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Blueberry Lu by Lisa Goff

Official Review: Sally Gets a Curly Horse by Ron Gale

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 07 Nov 2019, 04:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sally Gets a Curly Horse" by Ron Gale.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most little girls who ask their parents for ponies don't get them because their parents are against it (or tell them to ask Santa for it). Parental opposition isn't what's stopping ten-year-old Sally from making her dreams of owning a horse come true. She's terribly allergic to them; she's been rushed to the hospital on more than one occasion. Her hopes are resurrected when she attends a rodeo, and a woman tells her that Curly horses are hypoallergenic. Her father immediately finds a Curly horse ranch. The owner says that she must take riding and training lessons before getting one, and that's precisely what she does.

Ron Gale's Sally Gets a Curly Horse is a 24-page book aimed at children between fourth and eighth grade. Gale provides simplistic, colorful sketches for each page.

This would be a good book for readers who like horses. Parents might like this book because it teaches children that dreams are achievable — if you're willing to work for it. It can help children learn the importance of being patient and responsible. It also shows Sally using her new skills to help others.

Most of the language is simplistic. The longest word is "hypoallergenic," and the author notes that Sally had difficulty with it at first. Some of the equestrian terms might be challenging for readers who don't have any knowledge of horse riding (such as "neck rein" or "inverted rein"). However, some of the sketches help illustrate their meanings.

I had some issues with the formatting. The text and images were both against a light pink background. Some pages had margins around the text, and others didn't. The margins around the images were completely random. I read this on the Kindle app, and I had to mess around with the settings a lot to try and get the text and corresponding sketch on the same page. It's possible that I never found that sweet spot. I think it would have been more cohesive if the book had been a Print Replica eBook.

I'm also not entirely convinced that allergies are realistically portrayed in the book. It's said that merely touching or handling a horse would make Sally sick and cause her face to swell up; her reactions landed her in the hospital "sometimes." This sounds like it has to be an anaphylactic reaction since that's typically the only kind that puts you in a hospital. However, she tests to see if she's allergic to Curly horses by rubbing her arm against their necks and seeing if her skin gets red and itchy. Contact dermatitis is a lot different from the symptoms she described earlier. Additionally, the woman who taught Sally this told her that if she's allergic to them, she would see the symptoms immediately. However, contact dermatitis can take 1-3 days to show up. It just doesn't seem like great advice (but, of course, it all worked out in the end).

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars for the issues noted above and the multiple grammar errors I found. These errors included things like improper capitalization, quotation mark errors, and missing spaces. After a round of professional editing, this book would certainly merit a higher score.

Sally Gets a Curly Horse
View: on Bookshelves

Mutegude
2019 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mutegude » 14 Nov 2019, 02:45

I don't really know much about horses or the allergies associated with them but apart from the errors it seem like a really good book. Sadly to say its not for me though but anyway thanks for the review.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 14 Nov 2019, 10:46

This sounds like a really promising book, but it just has a couple of negative elements that need to be corrected. Thanks for your honest review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Crystal Mesh by Alicia Mundy with Jennifer Banmiller

Post by kandscreeley » 14 Nov 2019, 20:20

I like the thought of this book, but it does seem like it has some flaws. The allergy issues need to be worked out as that could be confusing to children. I hope the author can fix it. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Miller56 » 15 Nov 2019, 12:54

Thanks for the review. I have many allergies to animals and certainly understand Sally's issues. This sounds like a good book for children once it has been edited.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by kdstrack » 25 Nov 2019, 08:03

I really enjoyed your analysis of the main message of the book: dreams are achievable. You also did a tremendous job of clarifying the difference between allergies and skin dermatitis. This has been an informative review. Great job!

Return to “Children's Books”