Official Review: What It Means To Be Me by Dee Boykin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Babies at Coconuts
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: What It Means To Be Me by Dee Boykin

Official Review: What It Means To Be Me by Dee Boykin

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 09 Oct 2019, 04:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What It Means To Be Me" by Dee Boykin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What It Means to Be Me by Dee Boykin is a collection of short stories for children who are 5-8 years old. Each story tackles a challenge a child might face. All of the stories end with a heartfelt, upbeat message.

There are eight short stories. Tim talks with Pastor John about how he is struggling with his belief in God in “Is God Real?” “Chrissy’s Pet Rock” explores childhood bullying and how it’s okay to be different from everyone else. “Where did she go?” (author’s capitalization) is a heart-wrenching tale of a young girl who has lost her mother. Another difficult subject is tackled in “I Love My Brown Skin!” when James witnesses an unsettling scene of police brutality. In “The Group,” a few children form a club that celebrates everyone’s unique beauty. One boy who hates studying finds a way to get excited about school in “Spelling Test Day.” Two siblings try to figure out whether or not they’re friends in “Are You My Friend?” “I’m Not Sleepy...” shows how a five-year-old girl learns that staying up late has some serious consequences.

The text is on top of full-page illustrations. Typically, the text was well-placed, and there was a high enough contrast between it and the image. There were a couple of pages where the contrast was too low, making the text a bit difficult to read. The illustrations themselves were vibrant and detailed.

The messages behind most of these stories are beautiful. However, I think there’s some work that needs to be done regarding the delivery. In this 54-page book, there are numerous errors; I stopped counting them after the first 14. There were misplaced quotation marks, capitalization errors, and typos (like “scrap” instead of “scrape”). I also had an issue with the rhythm of the book. There would be multiple sentences that rhymed, then the next couple of sentences wouldn’t rhyme, and then it would go right back to rhyming. The sentences were often of varying lengths and complexities, which disrupted the rhythm of the story. It didn’t help that sometimes the rhyming words took place in the middle of a sentence. Here’s an example from the first page:

“God isn’t real. I believe he’s an old man living on top of a hill, telling everyone how to feel. If he was real, why do people get ill? And why do some people kill? It’s Sunday morning and my family and I are off to church. Today I’m going to get my questions answered. On this stage I see pastor John standing there so bold, telling us stories from the bible he says Jesus told.”

Ironically, in a book that encourages inclusivity, there isn’t a whole lot of diversity among the storytellers. “I Love My Brown Skin” is told by an African-American boy, and “Beauty” is told by an African-American girl. Outside of these two stories, there is only one character with dialogue that isn’t white.

All that being said, I do think that this book has some wonderful lessons to teach children. I believe that the kids who would get the most out of this book are those who are dealing with one of the issues Boykin addresses, such as being bullied or losing a parent. Additionally, I think this book would be beneficial for a child who is struggling with empathy.

I give What It Means to Be Me 2 out of 4 stars. The irregular rhyming scheme alongside the numerous grammar and spelling errors keep me from giving this a higher rating. The powerful messages and the author’s upbeat tone are the reasons I didn’t give it a lower rating.

The first story deals with Christianity, and Heaven is mentioned in the story about the little girl who lost her mother. If that bothers you, I would skip this one.

What It Means To Be Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Michelle Fred » 10 Oct 2019, 07:49

Irrespective of the book's shortfall in some key areas, I think the lessons are solid. Unfortunately, I think children's books should be error-free as children especially the target-age for the book may not have a good grasp of grammar and punctuation yet. I hope the author takes your review to heart and does what needs to be done. Thanks for the beautiful review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Weenie Kleegan by Hamlin Tallent

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Oct 2019, 19:21

Books for children should be impeccably edited. Children don't know any different. I do like the thought of short stories with great messages, though. Hopefully the author can fix the issues.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Miller56 » 10 Oct 2019, 19:46

Thanks for the review. It sounds like this book has a lot of great messages. It would be interesting to see the stories told from a different racial perspective. For example, it would be great to see "Beauty" being told by someone who was handicapped. I think I will pass on reading this one.

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by MsH2k » 10 Oct 2019, 23:51

These sound like great topics. I agree that spelling and grammar must be correct in children’s books. They are learning how to write as well as how to read. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”