Official Review: The Dreamy Bears by Kathleen rostron

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
anneloretrujillo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anneloretrujillo.html
Latest Review: Kane by Ashley Lee

Official Review: The Dreamy Bears by Kathleen rostron

Post by anneloretrujillo » 28 Sep 2019, 10:32

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dreamy Bears" by Kathleen rostron.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dreamy Bears by Kathleen Rostron is a children’s picture book about Timmy and his trip to Dreamy Land. Timmy is fast asleep when he is woken up by Daisy, Star, Moonlight, and Sleepy. These are the Dreamy Bears. They take Timmy to ride the rides and have fun at their far-away land. What else does Dreamy Land have in store for them? You’ll have to read this book to learn about their entire adventure.

I thought Dreamy Land was a cute and unique idea. It is a concept that young children will enjoy. It is a great bedtime story, especially for kids that are resistant to sleep. This book gives them an adventure to look forward to in their dreams. It is the type of book that would have helped me go to sleep as a child.

Pictures are always one of my favorite parts of children’s books, and the pictures in this book do not disappoint. The illustrator, Imogen-Lily Cunningham, depicted the story well through her illustrations. All of the pictures are bright and colorful. They are eye-catching and fun to look at. Young readers will be caught up in these pictures as the story is read to them.

Rhyming is another feature that I tend to enjoy in children's books. Unfortunately, the pattern in this book is inconsistent, and some of the words don’t exactly rhyme. For a young audience, the rhyming pattern needs to be consistent and clear. Reading this book out loud should be fun, and it should roll easily off the reader’s tongue. However, the pattern makes it difficult to read out loud if the reader hasn’t read it before.

Another downfall of the book is that it does not seem to be professionally edited. There are several errors throughout the book that could have easily been avoided. Because I believe that proper editing is essential in any children’s book, I am disappointed in the number of mistakes I came across while reading. Children are impressionable, and these mistakes can make it difficult to teach them that grammar is important.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story and pictures. However, I thought the rhyming and editing could use some work. I took away one star for each of these issues because they were both major components of the book. If these issues were fixed, I would consider giving this book a higher score. As it is written, I would recommend this book to parents who read out loud to their children. It would be a great story for pre-school age children. Due to the poor editing, I wouldn’t recommend it for children that can read on their own.

The Dreamy Bears
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Kane by Ashley Lee

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Michelle Fred » 30 Sep 2019, 05:36

What a wonderful idea for a children's book! It's a shame it's marred by poor editing and rhyming pattern; I hope the author does the needful. Thanks for your honest review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Weenie Kleegan by Hamlin Tallent

Post by kandscreeley » 30 Sep 2019, 19:17

I agree children's books need to be even more carefully edited. It's too bad this one isn't. The concept seems so cute! I do hope the author is able to fix it as even I would want to read it. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Helene_2008 » 30 Sep 2019, 19:44

I like the cover art, so I imagine the illustrations inside are just as good. From what you say about the rhyming, I'd be hesitant to read this book to my daughter. I do like rhyming in children's books when it is done right though!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Meg98 » 30 Sep 2019, 21:30

This sounds like a promising story, it has just failed in some of the execution. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Children's Books”