Review by jackielegault -- I'm Swimming in the Toilet......

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jackielegault
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackielegault.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by jackielegault -- I'm Swimming in the Toilet......

Post by jackielegault »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book I'm Swimming in the Toilet...PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley I rate 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the story line which is cute. The pictures are bold and colorful. The title captures your imagination as to what the story may be about. The words are written in big print.

The reason I gave it a 3 and not a 4 is the vocabulary used in the book. Even though the words rhymed throughout the story, I feel that other ones could have been used in the same context. For example, the word cesspool. Most young children reading the story would have no idea what a cesspool was. They may try to figure it out using context clues or ask a grownup for its meaning.

The book is about a frog who goes to someone's house to cool off because he feels it is too hot to be outside. He jumps into a toilet for a swim and that is when the mishaps begin. AS the story progresses the frog wonders if he made the right decision. His joyful antics get him into many difficult situations which he has to try and figure out what to do next.

The story line would be good for beginning readers or as a book that a parent would read to a young child. It could be used for just enjoyment, as a discussion about bathroom procedures or to describe the life of a frog. Parents could also describe the difference between the story being real or make believe. Could this happen in real life?

The book, overall, was well written. The author wanted to create stories for his young daughter that she would enjoy reading. I feel he accomplished that and I hope we see more of his works in the coming future.

I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH!
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”