Official Review: Spooky and the Gargoyle by Teresa Traver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Spooky and the Gargoyle by Teresa Traver

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spooky and the Gargoyle" by Teresa Traver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With Halloween just over a month away, there are three things that I can count on. First, the "spoopy" Halloween memes will be starting soon, and they'll almost definitely die out a week or two before Halloween. Second, it's going to be very hard to keep the song "Spooky Scary Skeletons" out of my head until November. Third, it's the perfect time to explore new Halloween-related movies, TV shows, and books! While I'm not a fan of horror, I still love the themes that come with wearing masks and costumes, and I'd never say no to a tense story. Yet, somehow in 37 years of living on this planet, I'd never come across a children's book that fit this time of year so well.

Spooky and the Gargoyle is a children's picture book for kids who are 4-8 years old. It tells the story of Spooky, a cat who earns her name by jumping at every shadow she sees in her new home. This tiny little curious furball of a kitten decides that, even though she's scared of the home, she should explore it. Outside, she comes across Eben, a gargoyle that guards the home, but he tells her that he does a much better job of guarding the home when he's left alone. Will Spooky ever get over her fears? Will she be able to befriend Eben? Or is she cursed to live a life of solitude and fear forever?

First of all, Spooky and the Gargoyle is absolutely adorable. Spooky is as emotive as the best cartoon animals, and flipping through the pages reminded me of the countless cat videos I've watched on the Internet. Not a single page went to waste. Ariana Dahlenburg (the illustrator) filled the pages with cuteness and action. In fact, Spooky and the Gargoyle is one of the best examples of a picture book capturing moments of action that I've seen. Spooky's battles with her fear are displayed so well that the words aren't even necessary to tell her tale. Some of the background objects could've been better, such as the pixelated-looking flowers and grass, but the characters were created beautifully.

The writing in Spooky and the Gargoyle is superb as well. The words used are easy to understand, the story is perfect for reading aloud, and I love the elegant, silent-movie-style borders around most of the words. I didn't find any errors, and I enjoyed every moment of the book. Like the imagery, the words alone could've told this story beautifully. Teresa Traver did a remarkable job!

Spooky and the Gargoyle felt like an animated short in the best of ways. I'd love to see more of Spooky's adventures in future books! She's precious, adorable, and so darn cute. It's easy for me to give this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I'd recommend it to anyone with kids who are scared of the dark or who love kittens. Spooky does a tremendous job of embodying courage in frightening circumstances, and she does it in the most endearing way.

Spooky and the Gargoyle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

What a cute children's book. Thanks! Love the Halloween theme.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Sounds like I should get this for my daughter when she's a bit older. We have a black cat so I love any children's books about cats or Halloween.
jamibozz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamibozz.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by jamibozz »

Ooh!! With being someone that LOVES Halloween, I can’t wait ‘til my daughter is old enough to be able to read this with. It sounds like a fun way to introduce the fun side of Halloween without being too scary for children. And how to handle certain situations when being a small child. I will definitely keep this in mind!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I LOVE this! My house is already filled with pumpkins, so this "spooky" children's book is everything in need next to my Pumpkin Spice Latte (I swear I am not even sorry for my basicness).
Great review!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

What a great book to explain fear and strength in scary times. This book sounds adorable. Thanks for the review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Oh, this sounds like such an adorable and well-written book! Thanks for your engaging review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a cute, fun story, and perfect for Halloween. Great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Children's Books”