Official Review: Penelope Sherbanne by Susan Uriarte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Bootstrapping 101 by Bob Reiss

Official Review: Penelope Sherbanne by Susan Uriarte

Post by prospero360 » 20 Sep 2019, 14:05

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Penelope Sherbanne" by Susan Uriarte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Treat others the way you want others to treat you; with kindness, care, courtesy, love, and respect.”

This is the "Golden Rule" that Susan Uriarte attempts to pass across in the fun-filled children's book, Penelope Sherbanné, named after the main character. Penelope's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sherbanné, knew how important it was to raise Penelope with good moral values, and they tried to do so to the best of their ability. However, a lot of their lessons to their daughter didn't hit home. Penelope was usually disrespectful and unkind to her teachers and classmates. After getting a time out for bad behavior, an unexpected magical encounter with the land of Wala Waloo shows her the repercussions of bad behavior. Will this encounter be enough to change Penelope?

I'll start by saying that this is one of the most creative children's book I've ever read. The book goes with a soundtrack, "The Morplus Soundtrack," which readers will have to listen to while reading the songs included in the book. Initially, I wasn't very sure about what the soundtrack experience would be like. However, it was really fun singing along with the characters, and I'm sure children will love the soundtrack.

Moral lessons are always one of the first things I look for in any children's book. In this department, this book excels. Besides themes of being kind and treating others with respect discussed throughout the book, the book also touches on the importance of eating healthy. The story highlights the effects of unhealthy eating habits and urges children to eat more vegetables and fruits. The author even goes the extra mile to introduce us to the delicious Morplus Veggie-Fruit smoothie, including materials and instructions required for its preparation.

Furthermore, the book isn't as heavy on illustrations as I would have liked, but Susan does a brilliant job of describing characters and locations sufficiently. The names of some characters, like Worrya, Angst, and Stressa, creatively helped to describe characters as well.

Penelope Sherbanné is an exceptionally well-edited book. I didn't find a single error while reading, and this made it easy to finish the book in one sitting. There wasn't really anything to dislike about the book. However, I would have preferred the book to have been a bit shorter in length, as children mostly have short attention spans. I rate this book 4 out 4 for its brilliant execution and creativity in passing important messages that are relevant to children today. I would recommend this book to children of ages 5 to 10.

Penelope Sherbanne
View: on Bookshelves

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Weenie Kleegan by Hamlin Tallent

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Sep 2019, 17:53

Even though the book is light on illustrations, I know children will really the soundtrack. That's awesome. I'm glad the book was so creative and yet taught some great lessons. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 22 Sep 2019, 08:17

"Penelope Sherbanne" by Susan Uniarte. The ideas is universal when we say that treat others the way you want others to treat you; with kindness, care, love and respect.Penelop's parents,Mr. and Mrs.Sherbanne did whatever they could to raise Penelop and tried their best to instill moral character in Penelop.This is a creative book for children.The main theme is that how to creat respect and good moral values among the children.Penelop despite all the efforts of their parents remained indifferent and found to be rude and disrespectful to their parents, teachers and classmates.Besides this the book also advises parents to develop healthy eating habits and the context of the book is relevant for the children today.

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by corinaelena » 22 Sep 2019, 10:14

Awww, I would love reading such a ceeative children's book! Great review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 24 Sep 2019, 14:35

A soundtrack to accompany the book is a wonderful idea. This used to be quite popular and was used to help children improve their reading. I enjoyed the way you described the father and his interactions with his son. Interesting review. Thanks.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Meg98 » 28 Sep 2019, 22:00

This sounds like a lovely children's book. Thanks for your thorough, excellent review. Well done!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Children's Books”