Official Review: The Purple Turkey (children's book)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 820
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Patty Cake and Walter Waffle by Portia McGowan Green

Official Review: The Purple Turkey (children's book)

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 12 Sep 2019, 21:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Purple Turkey (children's book)" by Marilyn Johnson, Ed.D.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever made one of those hand-shaped turkeys with your children? It's a simple arts and crafts project: you put your hand down on a piece of paper, draw an outline of your hand, pick your hand up, and then close the bottom of it with a curved line and you've got a silly-looking turkey for Thanksgiving! Better yet, it's something young kids can be proud of and display, it's easy to make, and it's customized by the shape of their own hand!

While I've made plenty of hand-shaped turkeys in my life, I never imagined a children's book would be based on them. The Purple Turkey: Being Different Is More Than Okay! by Marilyn Johnson Ed.D is a cute children's book that tells the story of Jimmy. Jimmy is a third-grader whose friends are very different from one another: their skin color, hair color, eye color, and even the amount of hair they have are all different! So when Jimmy's teacher gives them the assignment to make these crafty little turkeys, Jimmy decides that he wants to make a purple one.

I really liked the way that the differences between Jimmy's classmates and friends came into play in this story. The idea of "being different is more than okay" is especially terrific as it celebrates differences rather than merely saying that they exist. This theme merges with the turkey crafting when Jimmy's teacher gets upset that he didn't follow the rules. After a meeting with Jimmy's parents, she decides that there's nothing wrong with turkeys of different colors and celebrates his creativity. Because all of this takes place during Thanksgiving, the book also incorporates the importance of appreciating what one has. Jimmy's teacher shows her students the humongous list of things she's grateful for, and then the students realize that they could write huge lists too.

I also enjoyed the layout of the book. The Purple Turkey: Being Different Is More Than Okay! covers every inch of each page in color, and the semi-transparent backgrounds for the text make reading the words (mostly) easy to read. There were only a couple times I had to focus my eyes a bit to see what was written, but the sharp images more than make up for it. The book also includes a step-by-step guide to making one of these turkeys by showing readers how Jimmy made his own.

The only negative thing I saw about The Purple Turkey: Being Different Is More Than Okay! was that there were two sentences I had to re-read to understand what was being said. I didn't catch any grammatical errors at all, but one sentence could've been written a bit more clearly and the other seemed like the author slipped up and wrote the sentence in a third-person perspective instead of first-person. These two little things aren't enough to make me deduct a full star from the book's rating, leading me to award The Purple Turkey: Being Different Is More Than Okay! 4 out of 4 stars. It's something I'd recommend to any American parent who likes to do arts and crafts with their kid(s), as well as parents who want to show their kids that differences should be celebrated. People outside of America may not fully appreciate the concept of American Thanksgiving, so they may be less apt to want to pick this one up. However, parents may want to explain to their kids that if a teacher gives an assignment, students should follow the instructions; many teachers may not be as forgiving as Jimmy's teacher.

The Purple Turkey (children's book)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Kaylee123
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee123.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kaylee123 » 19 Sep 2019, 09:47

This sounds like such a cute book. I love reading reviews of children's books because I have 2 small children and I'm always on the hunt for good books to read to them. I love the message of this book, and it would be fun to make hand turkeys together after reading it! Thanks for such a thorough review!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 19 Sep 2019, 12:23

Such a lovely book for kids!
I think it may not be a suitable book for many of us but is perfectly suited for children around us. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Bhaskins » 19 Sep 2019, 14:30

How cute! It would be great for muni 5 year old.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Rachel Lea » 19 Sep 2019, 18:10

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed making hand-shaped turkeys as a child, I think that a book about this subject would be quite cute and entertaining. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Helene_2008 » 20 Sep 2019, 10:13

This sounds like a great book to read my daughter when she gets older. I'd like her to understand that everyone is different and there's no need to "fit in" or be a certain way.

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by corinaelena » 21 Sep 2019, 03:26

It is a little ironic that the author chose a Thanksgiving turkey to start a talk about accepting differences, given the history of this celebration. I am not American, and where I live we do not celebrate Thanksgiving. However, I was expecting a more educational approach to this book, and not the cookie cutter story people seem to learn in schools.
I love the cover though... And of course, the review was amazingly done. Great job!

Shiela30
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shiela30 » 05 Oct 2019, 02:12

Ive been searching always a book for my 2 kids exciting and especially creative they will love this ...

Return to “Children's Books”