Official Review: 'Twas the Night by Marin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: 'Twas the Night by Marin

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'Twas the Night" by Marin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

’Twas The Night by Marin Darmonkow is a remarkable book. It doesn’t tell a story; it shows a story. There is neither narrative nor dialogue as the tale is completely visual. A young boy in a wheelchair finds an injured dove in the street. He takes it home and nurses it back to health.

The whole book has a surreal quality to it. It’s nighttime on Christmas Eve and the streets are completely empty of cars and people. Although the shops and houses are ablaze with light, there is a feeling of solitude. The boy and the dove appear to be the only living things in the whole world. The surreal quality expands as the book moves on to a point where reality and dream are confused and the magic begins to unfold.

The lack of words is the strength of this book because every page elicits an emotional response. Loneliness, love, care, wonder and triumph jostle for room in this emotional yet gentle rollercoaster. I love the artwork from the cityscapes to the pictures on the walls of the little boy’s home. Most significant is the picture of Peter Pan’s shadow. The boy who never grew up; the boy who could fly. Yet this is his shadow. Parallels can be drawn between Peter Pan’s shadow and the wheelchair-bound boy.

There are lots of loose ends for the reader to ponder over. When the boy fell asleep, his glasses were on the pillow. When he awoke, they were on the bedside table. These are not errors, they indicate that dreams and reality are becoming confused and we are not able to judge when he is asleep and when he is awake.

Although this is ostensibly a children’s book, I think its appeal will span every age group from the very young to the very old. I loved this book. I loved everything about it and it is with great pleasure that I award it 4 out of 4 stars.

'Twas the Night
View: on Bookshelves
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wow! What a beautiful description of the book; it truly sounds like it would be an amazing experience to read this. I like that you mentioned that even though the streets are lit up and bustling, it seems like the boy and the dove are alone. Thanks for the wonderful review!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sounds like a great book for the younger audience. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like an amazing book. The notion between dream world intertwining with the real world is becoming a popular topic amongst creatives. So very relatable. I would definitely enjoy it. Thank you
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Such an articulated review!
I'm more impressed with the quality of the review of yours than the book. Thank you for this beautiful representation.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

This sounds like a lovely book. Though meant for children, I would still like to take a look at it. Thank you for a wonderful review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow--I love the visual narrative you described. Thanks for the recommendation!
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. I believe that the book tells a lot more than it would if the author chose words over visual narrative. I would love to read this book; many thanks for the great review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I like that the author has left most of the story up to the reader's imagination, which is important in younger minds. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Katherine1987
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Katherine1987 »

It is a kids Christmas book, and it's pretty good.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

This sounds like a wonderful children's book and everyone would enjoy reading it. Thanks for the comprehensive review.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

I just remember the story of "The Good Samaritan." Where there is nobody cares the victim of the robbers but only the Samaritan. In line with the story the Boy in this book has a heart when he picked up the injured dove and were able to nurse it until the dove recovers. In reality it takes a human heart to make it. I like the way you review it. Thanks.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm fascinated by your description of this picture book. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the great review!
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

That is a lovely review. It is very nicely written. I am curious as to the wheel chair bound boy and Peter Pan's shadow? To some, the shadow might mean the conscience. To another, it might be the science of conning. Either way, they are both privileges with which we are equipped. In the case that one needs to "con" someone in order to save their own life, then the "conscience" is certainly something we are better of having! Regarding the conscience, that is probably harder to argue in the defense of, which is almost backwards because society perceives that one with a conscience is a much better person than is one with the ability to con others. Losing or misplacing either of them would be awful. In this sense, I can see a correlation to the wheelchair. Is this what you mean? Your review, by the way, again is very nice to read.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Children's Books”