Official Review: The Adventures of PhilAnThropy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: The Adventures of PhilAnThropy

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of PhilAnThropy" by Linda McNay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young readers will discover the joy in giving as they follow three plucky friends in The Adventures of PhilAnThropy. Upon realizing their new friend needs a special chairlift to use the neighbourhood pool, Phil, An, and Thropy decide to do everything they can to raise funds to purchase the chairlift. This decision leads them on an unforgettable adventure in philanthropy. A kid-friendly fundraising campaign is organized with the help of family, neighbours, and friends. During the campaign, the friends come to learn that while each one of them may only be able to contribute a little, they can make a big impact by combining their time and individual talents.

The combined efforts of Linda Wise McNay, Del Martin, and Ailena Parramore went into the creation of this delightful book. One of the things that stood out for me, after the clever book title, was the equally clever and eye-catching illustration on almost every page. Not only were the images fun to look at, but they were also amusing in a way that lent the book a certain charm that would undoubtedly appeal to children.

Additionally, the themes of collaboration, determination, generosity, and empathy are values readers of any age will find inspiring. Phil, An, and Thropy were determined to help their friend enjoy the neighbourhood pool as much as they did. When their combined allowances fell short of the price for the chairlift, they went out of their way to do all that they possibly could to raise the complete amount.

My favourite part of the book was the step by step guide the authors included for kids on how to start a philanthropy club of their own. It was a practical guide with easy to follow steps for children who are either interested in philanthropy or just want to lend a helping hand to those in need.

The book appeared professionally edited as I could find no errors. I would recommend this book to elementary school kids. Without a doubt, The Adventures of PhilAnThropy is a valuable resource that will inspire kids of all ages that contributions - both big and small - can truly make a lasting impact. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Adventures of PhilAnThropy
View: on Bookshelves
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

What a wonderful review, and a great message to young readers. I like that the author included a step-by-step guide on how to start their own club. We need more books like this that encourage kids to get out and make a difference. Thanks for the great review!
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. This looks like a wonderful and engaging children's book. It is never too early to learn about empathy, generosity, determination and working together towards a goal. I think this book would be useful to many students while learning to help others. The fact the author has a guide to start philanthropy clubs for kids is also impressive.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the cuteness of the name. That's a clever way to get children to understand the concept of philanthropy. All in all, it's definitely a worthy read! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"The Adventures of Philanthropy" by Linda McNey".Three friends Phil, An and Thropy decide to support for a chairlift that could ease the problems of their neighbour, for which they collected funds to complete it.This is worthy to note that joint collaborative efforts have benefited the common men.Their this decisions paved the way for an unforgettable philanthropy.Their this steps opened new ways of fund raising.The combined efforts of Linda Wise, McNay, Del Martin and Ailena Paramour led to the creation of a delightful book.The driving factors of empathy, generosity,determination were the main factor leading towards their goal.The book would be helpful to understand the concept of philanthropy as well collaborative work
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I absolutely loved the title!! I would have picked up this book based on the title alone. More such books need to be written, especially to teach some core values of empathy and helping out. Wonderfully written review!! Thank you!
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

At first I wondered why the title of the book is written as PhilAnThropy; only to realize that the author coined three name from the word. I love the themes that the author discusses in this book and I look forward to reading this book and would recommend it to others who prefer such inspirational books. Many thanks for the insightful review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a creative way to name the characters in the book! The readers learn about giving and are pronouncing a long, four syllable word without even realizing it! This seems like a delightful book for all ages. Wonderful review. Thanks!
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I love the way the author coined the three names Phil, An and Thopy of the three characters from the word "philanthropy" which is part of the book's title. I believe any kid who reads the book will feel inspired. Many thanks for the great review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

What a great way to teach children about "Philanthropy." I bet if I were a kid, I would never forget the meaning after encountering the three characters in the book. Thanks for the great review!
Dylan921
Favorite Book: The Date Farm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dylan921.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Dylan921 »

This children’s book sounds great. At 1st look I’m saying Philanthropy, but it’s a great title about 3 children and how they set out to help their friend!
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 12:51 What a wonderful review, and a great message to young readers. I like that the author included a step-by-step guide on how to start their own club. We need more books like this that encourage kids to get out and make a difference. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for stopping by :)
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

KDJ wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 15:03 Thank you for your review. This looks like a wonderful and engaging children's book. It is never too early to learn about empathy, generosity, determination and working together towards a goal. I think this book would be useful to many students while learning to help others. The fact the author has a guide to start philanthropy clubs for kids is also impressive.
I agree. Thank you for commenting :)
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 18:32 I love the cuteness of the name. That's a clever way to get children to understand the concept of philanthropy. All in all, it's definitely a worthy read! Thanks.
The name was quite clever. Thank you for stopping by :)
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Nizar Ali Shah wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 04:52 "The Adventures of Philanthropy" by Linda McNey".Three friends Phil, An and Thropy decide to support for a chairlift that could ease the problems of their neighbour, for which they collected funds to complete it.This is worthy to note that joint collaborative efforts have benefited the common men.Their this decisions paved the way for an unforgettable philanthropy.Their this steps opened new ways of fund raising.The combined efforts of Linda Wise, McNay, Del Martin and Ailena Paramour led to the creation of a delightful book.The driving factors of empathy, generosity,determination were the main factor leading towards their goal.The book would be helpful to understand the concept of philanthropy as well collaborative work
Thank you very much for stopping by :)

Return to “Children's Books”