Official Review: Kids It's Ok To Scream Out Loud To Get A...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Babies at Coconuts
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: It's time to Prosper by Nickacy Smith

Official Review: Kids It's Ok To Scream Out Loud To Get A...

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 28 Aug 2019, 15:32

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kids It's Ok To Scream Out Loud To Get Away From A Pedophile Person" by Helena Battle.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At some point, most parents teach their children about pedophiles, child abusers, and predators. What's the best way to go about doing this? My brothers and I got this information from watching Unsolved Mysteries with my mom. I'd strongly advise against this unless you want your children to grow up into adults who have panic attacks when a white van is parked next to them in a parking garage.

Thankfully, Helena Battle offers a different method in her children's book: Kids It's Ok To Scream Out Loud To Get Away From A Pedophile Person. The primary objective of this book is to educate and empower children. She starts by defining several terms; such as "pedophile," "private parts," and "secret." She builds on these definitions in paragraphs about who pedophiles, child abusers, and predators may be - from a stranger to someone you love and trust. She drives many of her points home through repetition; the repetitiveness is intended to help children remember it better. Throughout the book, she repeats a set of "instructions." The instructions include things such as: "It's ok to fight back"; "Tell your parents"; and "Don't keep painful and agonizing secrets." Finally, she gives several examples of the kind of tricks these types of people play. For instance, she warns children not to help strangers who approach them about a missing pet.

She stresses her instructions throughout the book with text and images. The images are stick figures or boxes of text (like the ones you'd create in Microsoft Word). I imagine they were done this way because detailed images about this subject matter could be unsettling for children. I still feel like they could have a bit more of a professional feel to them. Not only are they bulky, but the bright colors look odd against the pear-colored background. Aesthetically, this book wasn't all that great.

I'm not sure what age group should read this book. Most of the scenarios involve a child being old enough to be out by themselves; others could involve younger children. The advice given could be useful for children of any age. The heavy-handed repetitiveness would rule out older children because I think they'd zone out. I think it would be most beneficial for elementary school students.

The author constantly tells the reader that she is trying to empower them. She tells them how special they are and that these people are trying to take advantage of their goodness. She wants them to know that they should never be ashamed; none of this is their fault. The best way forward after an encounter that felt uncomfortable or wrong is honest communication with your parents, grandparents, principal, etc. These kinds of positive messages were my favorite part of the book.

While I wish I could rate it higher because it really does have some great information, I'm giving it 2 out of 4 stars. This book needs some editing; there were far over ten errors; these included missing words, spaces in the middle of words, and incorrect punctuation. I also think the aesthetics could be significantly improved. I read the PDF version, so it might look different in its other forms. Additionally, I think the book could be greatly improved if the author narrowed down their target audience to a specific age range. The maturity required for comprehension doesn't seem to match the maturity of the presentation. I think it would be better if it was shorter to help young readers maintain interest.

As it stands, I recommend this book to parents who want to talk to their children about pedophiles, predators, and child abusers. Even if they don't read it to their children, they can pick up some helpful lessons from it.

Kids It's Ok To Scream Out Loud To Get Away From A Pedophile Person
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Michelle Fred » 30 Aug 2019, 04:08

The author does have a good message, but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired. I hope she makes the necessary corrections. Great review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Post by kandscreeley » 30 Aug 2019, 16:50

I just feel like there's a better way to warn children than this book. As it is, it's definitely not going to hold a child's attention. I'm not the proper age for the book, but thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Bhaskins » 30 Aug 2019, 21:13

Sounds like a decent message, but a failed delivery.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Wanjugush
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush » 30 Aug 2019, 23:43

Such a great book with an important message. This is a book for everyone including guardians. Great review.

KDJ
2019 Reading Goal: 160
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading: The Poison Profession
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: The Neigbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by KDJ » 31 Aug 2019, 09:46

Thank you for your review. This is a good topic to empower children. Parents and especially newer parents and guardians to younger kids(maybe 5 to 10 yrs) may find it helpful when explaining these potential threats. Hopefully, we will see another better edited version in the future. Thank you for your review.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin

Amenrodion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Amenrodion » 02 Sep 2019, 11:04

In today's world where child sexual abuse is increasing, I feel a book with pertinent information on the subject should be a must-read for parents. I will definitely be reading this book

Laila_Hashem
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Currently Reading: Marbles
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laila_Hashem » 03 Sep 2019, 14:51

The book has a very unique and interesting plotline. Unfortunately, spelling errors are something I could never tolerate when reading a novel so I probably won't add it to my reading list. Thanks for the great review!

1deannajv
Currently Reading: The Human Brain
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1deannajv.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by 1deannajv » 05 Sep 2019, 12:28

Thank you for the review. I have a young child and have been talking to her about body safety since she was two. It's hard to find an age appropriate book for her on the subject. So I read books and articles directed towards parents then I use the information to teach her about this sensitive subject. I wish I could find an age appropriate book since she learns best through reading. And this book sounds like it had good intentions but was poorly edited especially visually. If a revised edition comes out then I will read the book.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Wyland » 08 Sep 2019, 00:37

I like how the writer brings to bear on the important issue of pedophiles and their evil behavior of preying on children. Thanks for the insightful review.

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: The School by Robert Davis

Post by Aniza Butt » 10 Sep 2019, 06:13

Much needed book but sadly it is full of errors. Still i hope it would be helpful to warn children about these predators.
Thanks for the review.
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Lizzieitalia
Currently Reading: The Testaments
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Lizzieitalia » 10 Sep 2019, 19:55

Great review, especially your opening paragraph. Definitely an important topic but it seems this book fell a little short. Also the title seemed almost comically long.

Return to “Children's Books”