Official Review: La Beluga Tortuga by Bobbie Wright Grogan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Are You Jesus? by Joshua A McClure

Official Review: La Beluga Tortuga by Bobbie Wright Grogan

Post by Cecilia_L » 11 Aug 2019, 17:33

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "La Beluga Tortuga" by Bobbie Wright Grogan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

La Beluga Tortuga is different from the other sea turtles; instead of being green, she is albino white. La Beluga Tortuga swims, plays with her friends, sings with her mother, and laughs with her father. She is a happy little turtle who is thankful for her blessings.

La Beluga Tortuga: Hace Mucho...All Day! by Bobbie Wright Grogan is a bilingual children's picture book. It displays Spanish text on one side of the page and English on the other. The book features lovely colorful illustrations and introduces concepts such as self-acceptance, friendship, family, happiness, persistence, and thankfulness to young children.

I particularly like that this delightful story has a quality that I call "read-it-again appeal." From the many children's books I've read aloud as an early childhood teacher, parent, and grandparent, I know little ones will enjoy repeating "All Day!" over and over. The consistent line is present on each page to emphasize the importance of perseverance and persistence.

On the other hand, I dislike that the book doesn't contrast differences in characters as promised. The author mentions in the introduction that the main character is different from other sea turtles and that the book "teaches children to embrace their own differences and to accept the differences of others." Sadly, young children may experience the need to conform from an early age, so I anticipated the promised relevant message of celebrating differences in others. However, while the story demonstrates that the main character is happy as an albino turtle, I feel the author missed the opportunity to contrast differences in others. The book refers to friends, Mommy, and Dad, but although other turtles and fish are pictured, their differences aren't described. It's wonderful that the book is bilingual, but showing a different character speaking another language would reinforce accepting differences in others.

Additionally, the font size is too small. While the buzz phrase is displayed in large font and all caps, the rest of the text is tiny. This doesn't appear to be a formatting issue as the book is otherwise properly formatted. I appreciate the desire to emphasize the repeated phrase by contrasting the two font sizes. However, increasing the font size of the primary text would make the book easier to read.

Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the missed opportunity to celebrate differences in others, the story is professionally edited, introduces Spanish, and delivers a positive multithemed message to young children. I recommend the sweet read-aloud story for little ones through the age of six.

La Beluga Tortuga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 12 Aug 2019, 04:25

I am not into children's books, but I must say that you did a great review that can give a person looking for children's books a good insight on whether or not to consider the book. Well done.

VernaVi
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vernavi.html
Latest Review: Halloween At Lukes by Priya Pasumarthy

Post by VernaVi » 12 Aug 2019, 05:36

I loved your reference to the 'read-it-again' appeal, as that is so important when choosing a children's book. I always look for aspects of a story that deliver a message with the entertainment, and it sounds like this book didn't quite reach expectations in that regard. Thanks for a detailed review! Great job!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 12 Aug 2019, 05:54

OuKoyoo wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 04:25
I am not into children's books, but I must say that you did a great review that can give a person looking for children's books a good insight on whether or not to consider the book. Well done.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 12 Aug 2019, 05:55

VernaVi wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 05:36
I loved your reference to the 'read-it-again' appeal, as that is so important when choosing a children's book. I always look for aspects of a story that deliver a message with the entertainment, and it sounds like this book didn't quite reach expectations in that regard. Thanks for a detailed review! Great job!
Thank you, Verna.

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Is God Worth a Dime by Sandra Kay Cooper

Post by Kibetious » 12 Aug 2019, 06:51

Thanks much for the review. I would like to read this book. I love the emphasis on themes such as self-acceptance as they are very important to kids.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: murdering the macho managers by ben reuben

Post by InStoree » 12 Aug 2019, 07:13

I like the various topics that this book touches; is educational and it seems entertaining too. I'm sure my nieces will enjoy it. Thank you for your elucidating review!
Through reading, I can travel from ancient times to the distant future, from factual events to... beyond imagination.

Through writing, I have the chance to shift into a chameleon.

MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by MatereF » 12 Aug 2019, 07:17

I wish the author would place more emphasis on self-acceptance as promised, the images alone as you have indicated are not helping much. I like that you have mentioned that it has a "read it again appeal" to encourage children to read it again and again without getting bored. Thanks for the awesome review.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Shaft by Scott B Delaney

Post by Prisallen » 12 Aug 2019, 07:38

With the pictures, the important concepts it presents, and the read-it-again appeal, this book would be wonderful for children. It is too bad the author missed the opportunity to stress that it is okay to be different. I really enjoyed reading your review!

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Everydayadventure15 » 12 Aug 2019, 09:47

I might have to check this one out. I need some new stories to read out loud to my son and I like that this one is bilingual. I enjoy Spanish and can learn a few things myself. Thanks for the review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 12 Aug 2019, 13:52

Kibetious wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 06:51
Thanks much for the review. I would like to read this book. I love the emphasis on themes such as self-acceptance as they are very important to kids.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 12 Aug 2019, 13:52

InStoree wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 07:13
I like the various topics that this book touches; is educational and it seems entertaining too. I'm sure my nieces will enjoy it. Thank you for your elucidating review!
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 12 Aug 2019, 13:53

MatereF wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 07:17
I wish the author would place more emphasis on self-acceptance as promised, the images alone as you have indicated are not helping much. I like that you have mentioned that it has a "read it again appeal" to encourage children to read it again and again without getting bored. Thanks for the awesome review.
Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 12 Aug 2019, 13:54

Prisallen wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 07:38
With the pictures, the important concepts it presents, and the read-it-again appeal, this book would be wonderful for children. It is too bad the author missed the opportunity to stress that it is okay to be different. I really enjoyed reading your review!
Thank you. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 12 Aug 2019, 13:55

Everydayadventure15 wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 09:47
I might have to check this one out. I need some new stories to read out loud to my son and I like that this one is bilingual. I enjoy Spanish and can learn a few things myself. Thanks for the review!
It's a fun story and the bilingual text is a plus. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Children's Books”