Official Review: How to Catch a Keeper!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Official Review: How to Catch a Keeper!

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Catch a Keeper!" by Stephanie Mulligan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to Catch a Keeper! by Stephanie Mulligan is an adorable picture book based around catching lobsters in Maine.

Luke and Layla are enjoying a trip to the Maine Coast. Their dad takes them on the Lucky Catch Tour with Captain Tom. Captain Tom tells them all about catching lobster and which ones get sent back. He shows them what a female with eggs looks like and lets her go. The kids help him bait the traps. They look for the buoys that mark where his traps are waiting. They see seals, cormorants, and seagulls. If they find a keeper, what will they do? Read to find out!

The illustrations are beautifully done. Everything looks realistic and is perfectly colored. The picture of the happy seal sunbathing on the rocks was my favorite. The book is written in rhyme but it doesn’t always flow. It’s a mix of thirteen and fourteen syllable phrases. The end of the first set rhymes with the end of the second. However, each set is broken into two parts, not always evenly. If you look back, you can clearly see what words rhyme, but when trying to read the book out loud, you might get a little caught up. Still, it is one of the better rhyming books I’ve seen lately.

The story is simple enough for children to understand. It shares a lot of good information about the Maine Coast. It’s clear to see that the author really loves it there. At the end of the book, there is a “Lobstering Lingo” section. It explains some of the things the book glossed over. For example, I know what a seal is, and what a seagull is, but I was a little hazy as to what a cormorant is. It is “a large, black bird found along the coast of Maine. The double-crested cormorant can be seen hanging out on the rocks and ledges of Casco Bay, where it dries out its wings.” I found this incredibly helpful!

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Although I complained a little about the rhyming, this book is still one I would be happy to share with my nieces. The beauty and passion behind this book make up for the flaws. I would recommend it to adults to read to and with children. I would also recommend it to anyone considering a trip to Maine. It is a quick and charming read that’ll pique your interest.

How to Catch a Keeper!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

What a good idea for a children's book. It sounds fun and informational. It's not one I'll read nor do I have children in my life. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

The names Luke and Layla made me think of Star Wars (so similar lol), but the description of the story sounds fun. I like the helpful glossary section because I was not sure what a cormorant was either until I read your review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I love children's books. They are fun to read. The lot of the story is good. My kids will love this book. It about he sea and fishing.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This sounds like a lovely children's book. Great review.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This looks like a must-read for kids. Thanks for the review.
reignstar2149
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by reignstar2149 »

I am interested in the illustrations by Connie Rand. Do they cover the entire pages or just on one side of each page?
The fact being there is a lighthouse depicted on the front cover is what drew me. :)
My kids might enjoy this adventure book, thank you for this review. Especially on the rhyming. This kind of information does help with fluidity in reading aloud to kids.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

reignstar2149 wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 02:23 I am interested in the illustrations by Connie Rand. Do they cover the entire pages or just on one side of each page?
The illustrations are all over the place. Some are full pages, then there are little ones added in here and there. Everything is really seemless and enjoyable. :)

Return to “Children's Books”