Review by jeskerp -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jeskerp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeskerp.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Review by jeskerp -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by jeskerp »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Featuring singing donuts, cherry tomatoes, okra, and a panini, what could go wrong? The children’s book Four Funny Potatoes, written by Len Foley, has its roots in the kinds of stories that the author tells to his own daughter. The book stars talented produce that are attempting to put on a late-night show. The only problem is that several potatoes seem to think a banana named Benny is one of them, and nothing that Benny says can convince them otherwise. Unfortunately, poor Benny’s troubles only escalate when he is finally recognized for the long, skinny, shiny, and yellow fruit that he has been insisting that he actually is.

This book was grammatically well written, and it contained no typographical errors. It features a rhyming cadence and fun artwork that kids would be attracted to. It is appropriate for all ages; however, the ending includes some very mild dark humor.

The artwork features real photos of various foods that have been given all of the features necessary to bring them to life. What I liked most was the dialogue that is humorous and age appropriate, with a well-paced storyline. The stark white background lets the colorful photos steal the show, so to speak, which makes it more visually appealing than it might have been with a more cluttered layout. The sketched characteristics that are added to the photos are simple but perfectly cartoonish for the style of the book.

Initially, the aspect that I liked least was the ending, which caught me by surprise. It didn’t feel as child friendly as the rest of the story, and I was not sure that I could give this book the rating below. Upon additional thought, I realized that a parent would be able to determine if this is the type of story that their child would enjoy.

I give this book 4/4 stars because it isn’t a predictable children’s story and kept my interest on every page.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”