Review by Robynd -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robynd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robynd.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by Robynd -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Robynd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes, by Len Foley, is a rollicking romp through the kitchen for ages 3-7 and their parents. The quirky illustrations of potatoes and other fruits and veggies are the best part. Real pictures of foods are embellished with caricatures of eyes, limbs, and clothing. They really engage young children.

But wait, I only see three potatoes. Is that number four a banana? Why won’t anybody listen to him? And where did those donuts come from? The tension rises as a human enters the picture and stalks the residents of the kitchen. Hold onto your seats for the plot twist at the end. May not be suitable for some fruitarians.

While the story imparts values such as teamwork, adaptability, and assertiveness, Four Funny Potatoes also addresses issues such as tolerance, death, and diversity. And Foley manages to do this in a sensitive manner, at a level appropriate for young children. Foley also shuns baby talk and writes to children as equals in intelligence and humor (clean humor).

This book gave me a lot of chuckles. From the author’s own illustrations to the fun re-imagining of familiar rhymes, there are numerous little quips to entertain the adults. I particularly enjoyed the author’s bio, where he admits to being a terrible writer until he finds his niche in children’s books.

I only wish Four Funny Potatoes was available as a board book. It seems there is a paperback version, however. The Kindle edition is colorful and exceptionally well-edited. Older children can read it to younger ones. I think the story is a bit complicated for the younger ones to tell back with just the pictures. Still, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars for quality, originality, entertainment, and educational value.

Four Funny Potatoes, by Len Foley, is a great addition to my bookshelf. My grandsons and I enjoy reading it over and over again.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”