Official Review: Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks" by Viv Walker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is something peculiar going on in the forest, and 10-year-old Jessie Fenton is determined to find out what it is. She is curious about the shimmering lights coming from the woods at night, and she can't shake the feeling that someone is watching her. That is when she meets Blaze who is a Tomtee from the Withywick clan. Tomtees look similar to humans, but they are about half the size and covered in hair.

Blaze and the other Tomtees mean no harm and are looking for help to protect their homes from obliteration. The dwindling of crops has affected their food supply, and some members of the Withywick clan have been displaced. Jessie wants to help whatever way she can, but she has to earn the trust of the Tomtees first.

Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks by Viv Walker is the first book in the Tomtee Tales series. It is a children's book for 8-12 year-olds and follows the main character, Jessie, as she learns about the importance of friendship and facing her fears.

My favorite part of Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks was Jessie's willingness to help a friend in need. Blaze and the rest of the Tomtees' issues were mostly due to decisions made by the humans living on Holly Mount Hall. Jessie's friendship was the first step in making amends. Her kindness sends a clear message to young readers about the importance of advocating for others that may not have the means to do so themselves.

Another thing that I particularly enjoyed was the author's emphasis on being yourself. Although Blaze and Jessie were unlikely friends, it was clear that differences should never be a deterrent in friendship. When one of the Tomtees felt shameful about his appearance, Jessie encouraged him by saying: "I like you. I don't care what you look like. It's what's inside that counts." I think the book did an excellent job of celebrating differences by embracing the unique qualities of Jessie's new friends.

The writing is superb, and I found no spelling or grammatical errors. It is apparent that the book has been professionally edited and the author is a well-seasoned writer. I have happily chosen to give Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to preteens who enjoy reading stories about friendship and acceptance with some fantasy weaved into the plot. I think this would be an excellent book for the classroom as it emphasizes the importance of charity and advocacy. I would not recommend Jessie and the Shimmering Withwicks to adults as the book is intended to appeal to younger readers.

Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks
View: on Bookshelves
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I think children will enjoy this book especially those with low self-esteem as it will teach that it is alright to be yourself. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad this one is so well-written as it seems like a nice story for children. I love the term "withywicks." The names make me think this would be an enjoyable one to read out loud. Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 09:27 I'm glad this one is so well-written as it seems like a nice story for children. I love the term "withywicks." The names make me think this would be an enjoyable one to read out loud. Thanks for the information!
It was such a fun book.Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Shadiid wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 09:01 I think children will enjoy this book especially those with low self-esteem as it will teach that it is alright to be yourself. Great review.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a fun book for young readers. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It loosely reminds me of the Tiffany Aching books, minus the more satirical aspects, of course. I also like the lessons that Jessie's friendship with the Tomtees is designed to produce.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a refreshing and creative story for young people! It also teaches the readers valuable lessons. This looks really good. Thanks for the recommendation!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 20:18 This sounds like a fun book for young readers. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Nisha Ward wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 20:49 It loosely reminds me of the Tiffany Aching books, minus the more satirical aspects, of course. I also like the lessons that Jessie's friendship with the Tomtees is designed to produce.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love the themes presented in this book of advocating for those who can not, and you can still like someone who looks different than you. It is also wonderful that this is a well-written book with no errors. Thank you for a great review, as always!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Prisallen wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 08:11 I love the themes presented in this book of advocating for those who can not, and you can still like someone who looks different than you. It is also wonderful that this is a well-written book with no errors. Thank you for a great review, as always!
Thank you for your thoughtful comment!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I'll have to keep this series in mind for when my daughter gets older. I appreciate a novel with the moral of being yourself.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Helene_2008 wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 20:25 I'll have to keep this series in mind for when my daughter gets older. I appreciate a novel with the moral of being yourself.
Thanks for your comment!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

This sounds like an adorable story! I’d love to check it out for my niece. I like to buy books for her for Christmas and the messages in this book seem well-suited to the challenges she faces in school. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”