Official Review: Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Wicked Wives
Currently Reading: Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector by Julia Irwin

Official Review: Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector

Post by bookowlie » 09 Jul 2019, 15:52

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector" by Julia Irwin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Julia Irwin’s Galagamous the Galactic Garbage Collector is a children’s picture book about a hermit who resides in space. Galagamous lives on a red moon with Fizbot, a furry, green animal/creature known as a Yarper. They are frequently teased by the people of another planet, Megopolary, who don’t like hermits or Yarpers. When no one is willing to do garbage collection, the mayor of Megopolary travels to the red moon and requests the hermit’s help. While doing his new job around the galaxy, the plot thickens when Galagamous and his Yarper sidekick spot an unusual object.

Everything about this story is wildly imaginative. With his zig-zag eyebrows, wavy beard, and one long blue hair on his head, Galagamous is a memorable protagonist. His green, furry friend Fizbot looks like a humongous dog with oversized teeth. The setting is also creatively written. There are other children’s books with a space setting, but not many that introduce fictional planets or showcase a garbage collector.

While the story is somewhat long for a children’s picture book, there are only a few sentences on each page. The author does a good job of describing the characters and setting without bogging down the story. I was particularly impressed that the writing was fairly easy to understand, considering the unique plot and offbeat names. The term Yarper is explained well, as a fictional animal/creature who speaks in “yap” and “yarp” sounds. However, it would have been helpful if the word “hermit” had also been explained, since it’s a key aspect of the main character’s lifestyle.

The colorful illustrations tie in closely with the text and provide good visual clues for intermediate readers. The characters have a cartoon-like appearance, and their facial expressions appropriately match the action on each page. I wouldn’t recommend the book for beginning readers, since it is relatively long and contains a few made-up words. Beginning readers tend to gain confidence by reading very short books with short, simple sentences and words. Still, the book would be a perfect choice for parents or teachers to read aloud.

There is a universal theme of wishing you could be different vs. appreciating who you are. It’s always a nice perk when a fun children’s book can also be educational. The story is edited well, with no spelling or grammatical errors. There is also a smooth flow to the plot, with no scenes that veer the storyline off track.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable read, with an interesting plot and offbeat characters. I would recommend the story to children ages 5-8, especially those who enjoy quirky characters and stories set in space. Children younger than the recommended age range would likely prefer a shorter book with simple sentences and concepts. Hopefully, the author will decide to turn this entertaining story into a series. I can easily picture this lovable hermit and his furry sidekick embarking on other adventures.

Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Stand Against Injustice
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Light In The Woods by Cherie Miller
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 10 Jul 2019, 10:45

What a great review! You described everything so well that I want to pick this one up! I love space settings in books for children. It seems to set their imaginations free. Thanks!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Helene_2008 » 10 Jul 2019, 18:30

The title of this book is quite a mouth-full but im glad you thought it was easy to read. I also like the theme/lesson of this book. Reminds me of The Sneetches by Dr. Suess!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Chemist: A Psychological Thriller by Stephanie Colbert

Post by Prisallen » 11 Jul 2019, 07:59

Being imaginative, colorful, having a good underlying theme, and being well written makes it a wonderful book for children. Thank you for a great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Jul 2019, 08:23

Now this sounds like a great children's book. I love the alliteration of the title, the colorful illustrations, and the great message about loving who you are. Another great review. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Mama, Will I Get Wings Too? by Janie Houston

Post by Cecilia_L » 11 Jul 2019, 13:15

This sounds fun! My eight-year-old grandson would adore the alliteration. Thanks for the delightful review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 11 Jul 2019, 15:50

This author connects with the imaginative spark of this age group. The creative setting, the unique plot, and the singular characters will surely enchant readers. As an added perk, the book presents a valuable message. Loved your review! Thanks.

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Wriley » 14 Jul 2019, 11:33

The book also seems to be about discrimination since the other world people don't the Yarper for basically speaking a different language. Just from the review, I can see that the themes maybe much deeper than at first glance. The need for those who are different for jobs that natives don't want is also a theme in the U.S. presently.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Return to “Children's Books”