Official Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Muddysocks finds her feet by Deirdre Cichosz
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON...

Post by Helen_Combe » 09 Jul 2019, 13:20

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m Swimming In The Toilet... Please Don’t Flush! by Len Foley is an illustrated children’s book. It follows the adventures of a frog who decides to avoid the baking sun by going into a house and taking a dip in the toilet. This is a cautionary tale which illustrates what can happen when a multitude of danger signs are ignored.

As a self-confessed fan of Len Foley’s books, I was delighted to pounce on this opportunity to review yet another. His stories are irreverent, entertaining, completely off the wall and often include a large splash of toilet humour. They make me laugh out loud.

While the main plot is described in verse, there is yet more story in the illustrations. In fact, there is so much going on that you are unlikely to spot all of the visual jokes at the first reading. The pictures are a clever combination of cartoons superimposed over actual photos and they work remarkably well. The frog merrily hops past barrier tape and a plethora of different danger signs; all of which are funny in their own way. There are other characters included in the adventure. A dog is performing a cleaning service and for some bizarre reason, a peanut is acting as a lifeguard. There is a nod to a previous book when a snorkelling potato turns up and what I particularly like about the shoe is that its tongue is hanging out.

My only twinge of doubt was a personal one in that I have a horror at the thought of small animals being flushed down the toilet. However, that's just a personal thing and the frog was certainly given plenty of warning.

I love this book as I have loved the previous two. It is professionally edited and the pictures are glossy, lively and colourful. It will appeal to young children who enjoy a bit of toilet humour. It will also be equally entertaining for the adult who is reading it with them. I can’t find fault and am delighted to award this 4 out of 4 stars.

I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH!
View: on Bookshelves
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Second time for love by Bruce Cooke

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 16 Jul 2019, 06:38

I can't wait to read this one! Like you, I am a huge Len Foley fan. I love his humor and the illustrations are hilarious! Thank you for this great review!

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by LinaMueller » 16 Jul 2019, 07:04

Len Foley is really amazing. Amazing writer for kids. Thanks for your great review, Helen. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 16 Jul 2019, 08:30

You know, I should have guessed this was Len Foley book just from the title. It sounds like one of his. For that reason, I know it'll be great, and I'll probably end up reading sometime. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Helene_2008 » 16 Jul 2019, 21:32

This sounds like a great book to read to my daughter! I'm always trying to find fun stories with a good lesson. Thanks for the review.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 246
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Importance of Soft Skills For Global Managers by Samanthani Singh

Post by Wyland » 17 Jul 2019, 06:25

What a title! I don't know if I should be glad that the tile is for a children's book. Thanks for your wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”