Official Review: Anything I Want by Jolene Menard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: The Both of Us by Jayne C and Doug Sedwick

Official Review: Anything I Want by Jolene Menard

Post by Juliana_Isabella » 05 Jul 2019, 12:52

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anything I Want" by Jolene Menard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anything I Want by Jolene Menard tells the story of a little girl named Charlotte who has many dreams for her future. When her mom asks her what she wants to be when she grows up, Charlotte begins to dream of all the possible careers she could have. She dreams about defending her country in the army, exploring the world as an oceanographer, and living many other exciting lives in different careers. After this, the book jumps ahead in time to show how Charlotte managed to achieve many of these dreams.

I love the story of this book, which shows that children should dream big and then work to achieve their dreams. Although Charlotte’s mom says she will have to choose one career for her life, Charlotte proves that there are ways to achieve multiple dreams in life. This book is based on the author’s own experiences with having multiple careers in her lifetime. This is an inspirational story for children because it shows them that many of their early dreams are possible if they’re willing to put in the work to achieve them.

I also really enjoyed the rhyming verses in this book, and the majority of them were good rhymes that would flow well when read aloud to a child. My only complaint about the writing is that I found seven punctuation errors within this very short children’s book. Since the book is for children, it’s important that the grammar, spelling, and punctuation used in the book are good examples for kids who are learning to read and write.

The illustrations in the book are cute even though they’re not hand-drawn. The author did a good job using stock cartoon photos to bring Charlotte’s dreams to life. The one issue with the illustrations is that the words are often overlaid on the pictures (as they are in many children’s books), but the black text gets lost on darker illustrations. I can tell the author put a white halo around the text to try to rectify this issue, but I still struggled to read some of the pages. Just making the text larger would help with this issue.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although I love the story and rhyming verses, I can’t give it that final star due to the punctuation errors and the difficulty of reading some pages. Both of these issues could be fixed with the help of a professional editor, so I hope the author reaches out to one to put the finishing touches on a great book. I would recommend this book to children ages 3-5 with the help of a parent and 6-8 to be read alone.

Anything I Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Jul 2019, 12:11

Aww. I love a story about children achieving their dreams. What a great thing to teach a child. I hope the author can fix the errors.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Dee_218 » 08 Jul 2019, 12:32

Sounds like an amazing, kind, and honest story to read out loud to the kids. It sounds real and believable even for adults. I love the author's backdrop of reality that would even sell the story to the average adult. Thanks you for a great review.

kruttithakkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kruttithakkar.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by kruttithakkar » 08 Jul 2019, 13:49

Seems a great book, definitely worth reading with my son. It sounds inspiring.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Magnify3 » 08 Jul 2019, 14:16

Children need to be encouraged to dream big dreams. This book can be a useful tool in that light. Thank you for the review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 09 Jul 2019, 15:32

Teaching children to dream is the first step. You have to have a dream to be able to achieve it. This looks like an inspiring book for the young ones.

Return to “Children's Books”