Official Review: Sebastien Escargo and Isabella Mariquita

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Diaries of Abi Rhode by S.L. LeClair

Official Review: Sebastien Escargo and Isabella Mariquita

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Jul 2019, 14:33

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sebastien Escargo and Isabella Mariquita" by Julie Marshall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“When they are hungry, they like to eat leaves together. Sebastien hums ‘Frère Jacques.’ Isabella’s feet do Spanish dancing.”

Sebastien Escargo and Isabella Mariquita: In the Garden by Julie Marshall is a delightful children's book that celebrates the themes of individuality and friendship. Sebastien is a French snail, and his best friend, Isabella, is a Spanish ladybug. The beautifully-illustrated story introduces simple French and Spanish vocabulary and contrasts the friends' differences while highlighting the activities they enjoy doing together, such as playing hide-and-seek with the other insects, leaf skating, dress up, and exploring the garden.

As there is a lot to like about this adorable children's book, I am hard-pressed to define my favorite feature so I will list a few. First, I really love how this book celebrates individuality and teaches children to appreciate differences in one another. For example, Sebastien likes Isabella's "shiny red back" and appreciates that she is able to see "a lot of things" because she flies fast. Likewise, Isabella notices that Sebastien "sees one thing at a time" because he slides slowly, and she likes his "earthy brown shell." The book also teaches simple phrases in each language, including "Bonne nuit" and "Buenas noches," the French and Spanish translations for "Goodnight." While there is an emphasis on appreciating differences, the book also teaches that the friends share much in common which is illustrated by all of the fun adventures they share.

Next, I found the lovely illustrations by Katelin Bamford absolutely enchanting. They are colorful, whimsical, and sure to delight young readers. I also appreciate the book's formatting, which automatically displays the vibrant illustrations in a horizontal landscape orientation filling the Kindle page. This feature really stands out because often children's eBooks can only be read vertically, which means either viewing disproportionately small illustrations or having to enlarge the image and exit before moving on to the next page.

There isn't anything I dislike about this charming children's story. I noted one page lacking punctuation and would have liked an additional illustration on the final text-only page. However, these minor discrepancies didn't detract from an overall delightful book. It is a pleasure to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young readers up to the age of nine, parents, grandparents, and teachers. In fact, I can't wait to read it with my grandson when he visits next week, as he loves exploring my garden for creatures like snails and ladybugs. Perhaps, we will encounter Sebastien and Isabella.

Sebastien Escargo and Isabella Mariquita
View: on Bookshelves

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 09 Jul 2019, 15:44

This is an adorable way to introduce children to second and third languages. They absorb these new words so easily at a young age and the words just roll off their tongues. This looks like a wonderful book. Thanks.

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Diaries of Abi Rhode by S.L. LeClair

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Jul 2019, 19:04

kdstrack wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 15:44
This is an adorable way to introduce children to second and third languages. They absorb these new words so easily at a young age and the words just roll off their tongues. This looks like a wonderful book. Thanks.
I agree, and it is such a fun story. You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Children's Books”