Official Review: My Shadow is a Copycat by Olga Fyne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: My Shadow is a Copycat by Olga Fyne
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Official Review: My Shadow is a Copycat by Olga Fyne

Post by hsimone » 18 Jun 2019, 17:04

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Shadow is a Copycat" by Olga Fyne.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you do when your shadow frightens you and it seems to be everywhere? Come follow a young boy who is afraid of just that in Olga Fyne’s illustrated children’s book, My Shadow is a Copycat. Whether inside or out, playing or resting, the ominous shadow seems to always be there.

The vibrant illustrations within this book almost jump out of its pages. The young boy shows detailed facial expressions that would make it easy for children to understand his feelings at any given moment.

As good as the illustrations may be, the storyline in general was lacking. The clear problem of an unnamed boy being afraid of his shadow was presented in an almost frightening way. Sentences of “He follows me to my room.” (page 5), “He follows me to the bathroom.” (page 7), and “He follows me to the shower.” (page 9) gives off a very uncomfortable feeling. With the addition of phrases such as “stop” (page 15) and “please stay away” (page 47) without the child’s wishes being heard, I would be afraid it would send the wrong message to children. By the end of the story, the problem is left unsolved.

The boy in the story seems to participate in several activities and the fact that he is afraid of his shadow could make him relatable to children. Unfortunately, his development was severely lacking. Firstly, he didn’t have a name, which makes it difficult to truly connect with a nameless character. Secondly, the boy clearly was having extreme issues and was constantly feeling this big weight on his shoulders, but he was left to deal with the situation on his own. Toward the end, the boy considered that his mom could talk to his shadow, but again with no real resolution.

There were also a number of errors throughout this short book. Ranging from missing commas, unnecessarily added commas, missing quotation marks, and missing spaces in between words. Therefore, the book could use another round of editing.

As a little warning, there was an illustration where the boy’s behind shows a bit, which could be bothersome for adults to show some children.

Overall, My Shadow is a Copycat is a children’s book that needs a lot of work before exposing it to young kids. Due to its lack of character development, plot resolution, and editing, I give the book a 1 out of 4 stars. In its current state, I cannot honestly recommend this book.

My Shadow is a Copycat
View: on Bookshelves
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 22 Jun 2019, 10:12

This would be a difficult book to recommend. I agree with your comments about the unresolved fears and the lack of a name for the boy in the story. Thanks for your excellent insights about this book.

Soonerchick656
Currently Reading: Keep You Safe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerchick656.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by Soonerchick656 » 22 Jun 2019, 23:50

After reading your review I wanted to see and understand what you meant; so I downloaded the book to my Kindle and read through it. I agree with your entire review. The story is lacking in the story line and the child's problem not being solved by the end of the book. Though I will say that at the end he decided to speak to an adult he trusted and knew she would solve the problem; to some children that is solving the problem. I think, though, that the author should have went on to show that the little boy did talk to his mother and what their solution to the problem was. I think that this would be a good story to read to a child to have them ask questions about the problem the little boy was having and to see what their solutions to the problem would be. I agree that it could be confusing to some children with the fact that the shadow would not go away even after being told to go away and to stop ... this could be construed as someone trying to hurt the little boy and the "person" not stopping. I believe that the book definitely needs some work. Great review!!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 23 Jun 2019, 02:30

I think if the writer presented it as a solution and not a problem, then the book will be something else. The shadow more like a friend then some creepy follower. I appreciate your honest review.😊

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Zoe, Let Go by Theresa A. Calcaterra-Raimondi

Post by Aniza Butt » 23 Jun 2019, 09:09

Seems this book needs a lot of work. Such book can leave a bad effect on young minds.
Thanks a lot for an insightful review :tiphat:
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Magnify3 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:54

Thanks for your honest review. I would like a child to think of a shadow as a friend too. At least I didn't think it was something scary as a kid.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Shadiid » 24 Jun 2019, 20:08

Definitely not suitable for children. Thanks for the informative review.

dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by dorebri2020 » 25 Jun 2019, 09:48

Just by reading the review, I would be afraid to show this novel to younger children due to installing illogical fear of shadows. I agree entirely with the issues presented in your review, and the idea that the child would not go to an adult or someone for help promotes a bad message to fearful children. Thank you for the informative review.

Return to “Children's Books”