Review by VernaVi -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review by VernaVi -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley is a fun, zany book for kids. It uses storytelling and imaginative play to teach the lesson that it's ok to be different. This concept is a good premise for children's literature because being different than others is something about which kids do worry.

The first thing that struck me upon opening this book was that Len Foley's artwork is stylistically very similar to the comic strips we see in newspapers. The illustrations are simple, fun, and they tell a story with one glance. The colors are bright and happy, and they illustrate the bouncy feel of this book perfectly.

This story begins with a banana trying to convince his potato friends that he is not a potato. He is unique and yellow and sings a different song. It is told in the same way as one would play with a child. Short sentences infused with a happy play vibe that is contagious. The food friends are quiet during the day, but at night they all come together and put on a play. The play gets interrupted frequently by the director (a green bean) who yells "Cut!" The story continues to an inevitable ending, but you must read it to find out what it is because I won't give away any secrets here!

Children love books that encourage them to play together. They put on plays and act out stories. The concept of teaching children to play and entertain with whatever they see around them is very creative.
It encourages the use of imagination and instructs through example, ways to work with what you have on hand.

I smiled when I read the dedication of this book. It dedicates it to the author's niece who, for some unknown reason, believes he is a potato. It sets the humorous mood for the book right up front. It's a fun, wacky tale designed to please not only children but adults as well.

I loved that this book used items of food, potatoes, a banana, eggs, etc., to illustrate and create characters. The only drawback is, I found myself getting hungry part way through. Subliminal messages?

The language in this book was great. It was fun and straightforward, using verses that rhymed with each other. This style of writing appeals to children and helps them remember lines and phrases better over time. I recall loving rhyme when I was little, and this book includes plenty of it!

What I liked the most about this book is that it made me smile, and every time I laughed, it won another star. It has stacked up a pile of awards four stars high now. I found nothing at all to dislike about this book, and I am rating it with 4 out of 4 stars. It is an excellent book for younger children and would appeal to older ones as well. It speaks wonderfully to the inner child in all of us. I think this is why we all like reading the comic pages in the newspapers so much. I recommend this book to the inner child in everyone, as well as children everywhere! It would be an entertaining book for older children to read to the younger ones, as it provides a great way to pretend and play together. I can picture children running to the kitchen for three potatoes and a banana to play with after reading this book. I can't think of anyone it wouldn't appeal to in some way.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like VernaVi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”