Official Review: A Big Day for a Little Dog by Susan York

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso by Z. D. Boxall

Official Review: A Big Day for a Little Dog by Susan York

Post by KristyKhem » 28 May 2019, 11:33

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Big Day for a Little Dog" by Susan York.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Open the cover of A Big Day for a Little Dog and you will find a delightful story about a joyful puppy named Meggie. It was written by Susan York and illustrated by Valery Larson. Meggie loved frolicking in the yard with her siblings, but she wished she could fly through the air like the butterflies and see the world. A friendly woman named Jan adopted Meggie and took her on a long drive to the marina where she lived in a houseboat community. Meggie’s journey to Jan’s home allowed her to see the world and meet new characters along the bay.

This is one of the most enjoyable children’s storybooks I have read in a long while. The story was captivating because Meggie was written with likable traits. Firstly, she was born without a tail which made her receive special attention from her Mama. This trait made her rather cute because instead of wagging a tail, she wiggled her bum. Secondly, she was portrayed as a curious character who liked interacting with other critters like squirrels, bees, and butterflies.

However, what I liked the most was the setting. I have never heard about people living on houseboats so this book educated me on this exclusive seaside community. In the story, people’s houseboats had really fun names like ‘Mermaid House’, and ‘Dragon House’. The residents grew fruits and flowers in pots along the dock. I also noticed there were animal figurines made of stone in nearly all of the drawings which portrayed the houseboats. These small details made the community feel distinctively unique. The author also included a poem at the end of the story about life on a houseboat. I really appreciated this.

Valery Larson’s illustrations perfectly captured the story. I loved the detailed touches she included in the pictures. For example, I spotted signs on some of the houseboats such as ‘Eye on the Sky’ and ‘Alien Life Form Research’. The oceanic theme was also apparent. I noticed a drawing of a seagull nesting on the roof of a houseboat. Pelicans and shells were featured, as well as small mermaid designs. I enjoyed looking at the artwork in this story. I think that every page will spark a conversation among young readers.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. I’m rating A Big Day for a Little Dog 4 out of 4 stars for its likable main character, its captivating storyline, its unique setting, and its fascinating illustrations. The book was professionally edited as I didn’t spot a single error. Youngsters aged 3-7 will love this story. Apart from entertaining them, it will teach them about caring for pet dogs and introduce them to life on a houseboat. Parents and older folks will probably enjoy this book too!

A Big Day for a Little Dog
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 30 May 2019, 17:49

Sounds like such a cute book. I love how the author made the dog imperfect, but just as loveable as any other dog. Great review!

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:

Post by KristyKhem » 30 May 2019, 18:50

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
30 May 2019, 17:49
Sounds like such a cute book. I love how the author made the dog imperfect, but just as loveable as any other dog. Great review!
Thank you for commenting! Meggie was really adorable.

Starlight1954
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Starlight1954 » 30 May 2019, 21:48

I would really love to have and read this book. I'm not much of a reader but with an animal story like this sounds like it would really worth reading

Kajal Dhamija
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajal-dhamija.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Kajal Dhamija » 30 May 2019, 22:10

Book sounds like a treat to me. A great children's book with a great setting. Can't wait to start this one. And, great review!

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: My Thirty Years In New York City by John Joseph Strangi

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 May 2019, 04:45

What a cute story and I think the houseboat community will appeal to young readers. Great review!

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Wyland » 31 May 2019, 04:53

The curious character of Meggie is good for the children as they learn. The houseboats are also interesting places to live in. Thanks for the review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 31 May 2019, 10:03

I love the idea that Meggie wishes she could fly (reminds me of Dumbo!). This sounds like a lovely book with a positive message and wonderful pictures. Thanks for the recommendation!

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:

Post by KristyKhem » 31 May 2019, 19:49

Cecilia_L wrote:
31 May 2019, 04:45
What a cute story and I think the houseboat community will appeal to young readers. Great review!
I think so too! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:

Post by KristyKhem » 31 May 2019, 19:50

kdstrack wrote:
31 May 2019, 10:03
I love the idea that Meggie wishes she could fly (reminds me of Dumbo!). This sounds like a lovely book with a positive message and wonderful pictures. Thanks for the recommendation!
It was certainly a story I enjoyed. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The time we have by aastha madhur

Post by Bluebird03 » 01 Jun 2019, 17:14

Meggie sounds quite adorable and lovable. And I like the idea of the seaside community and houseboats also. Thank you for a lovely review!

Return to “Children's Books”